12 Quotes by Johnny Cash to Live By

12 Quotes by Johnny Cash to Live By

The famous 'Man in Black' was a spiritual man that was full of contradictions, but aren't we all?

4979
12 Quotes by Johnny Cash to Live By
Country Music Project

The American-singer song writer, icon, and one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century lives on today through his music and his words. He created music in a broad range of genres: rock and roll, blues, folk, country, and gospel. The singer known as the 'Man in Black' sold more than 90 million records worldwide and was known for his deep voice that sounded like thunder rolling through hills. His rare style inducted him into the Country Music, Rock and Roll, and Gospel Music Hall of Fame. He was a devoted Christian who gave free concerts to prisons, contradictory? He knew it and announced himself as one of the biggest sinners of them all. Some judge but aren’t we all? Known for his amazing voice and strong beliefs in his faith, he was also known for his love story with June Carter who was a prominent, successful musician herself. He lived a passionate life, suffered from addiction, preached the gospel, struggled with demons and depression, wrote poetry, served in the military, and created music loved by millions. One thing anyone should appreciate about Johnny Cash, even if they don’t care for his rowdy lifestyle, is that he was real and genuine. He didn’t let his infamous mistakes stop him from giving glory to God through the process as he overcame his struggles.

1. "Being a Christian isn't for sissies. It takes a real man to live for God - a lot more man than to live for the devil."

2. "If you don't get outside every day, even for a minute, you have not appreciated what God has done. It makes you grateful for our surroundings, and it starts your day differently."

3. "You build on failure. You use it as a stepping stone. Don't close the door on the past. You don't try to forget the mistakes, but you don't dwell on it. You don't let it have any of your energy, or any of your time, or any of your space."

4. "All your life, you will be faced with choices. You can choose love or hate... I choose love."

5. "If you aren't gonna' say exactly how and what you feel, you might as well not say anything at all."

6. "I've learned that there is no fence to sit on between heaven or hell."

7. "This morning, with her, having coffee." When asked for his description of paradise.

8. "A man's gotta' be a lot tougher than the timber he's cutting."

9. "Inside the walls of a prison my body may be, but my Lord has set my soul free."

10. "My arms are too short to box with God."

11. "I love the freedoms we got in this country, I appreciate your freedom to burn your flag if you want to, but I really appreciate my right to bear arms so I can shoot you if you try to burn mine."

12. "God gives us life and takes us away as He sees fit."