9 Must-See US Sights for Road Trippers

9 Must-See US Sights for Road Trippers

Oh, the places you'll go!

21
9 Must-See US Sights for Road Trippers
TravelZoo

The idea of jumping in the car, hitting the open road with nothing but a backpack and throwing caution to the wind has been at the top of travelers' bucket lists for generations. There's nothing better than seeing the whole country on the road, from the extreme tourist destination sights to the hidden swimming spot you just happen to stumble upon. Here's a list of must-see sights to complete your ultimate US road trip!

1. French Quarter, New Orleans

French Quarter is the oldest and most-visited section of the city of New Orleans. Discover the unique history of the city while enjoying live music around every corner, exploring the nightlife of Bourbon Street and walking across the Mississippi River on Moon Walk Bridge.

2. Fredericksburg, Texas

This German-style city is filled with excitement! Explore museums, art galleries, hiking trails, wineries, live music, and more in this family-friendly city. It's perfect for a weekend getaway!

3. Thousand Islands, New York

The Thousand Islands are a group of more than 1,800 islands in the St. Lawrence River straddling the border of New York and Canada. A fashionable retreat for the elite in the late 19th century, today the area is a hub for outdoor activities. It’s home to elaborate island mansions, wineries, cruises and more.

4. Rainbow Bridge, Utah

A hiker's dream destination! Rainbow Bridge is known as one of the largest natural bridges in the world, but getting there to see it is a trip in itself! A several days' hike through the Navajo Nation will lead you to it, and the view will be absolutely worth it!

5. Sequoia National Park, California

This park, though known for its giant sequoia trees, has lots more to offer. Visit the underground Crystal Cave, which features beautiful streams and rock formations, and Mt. Whitney, the highest standing mountain in the lower 48 states.

6. Mount Rainier National Park, Washington

Ascending to over 14,000 feet above sea level, Mount Rainier stands as an icon in the American landscape. An active volcano, Mount Rainier is the most glaciated peak in the contiguous US, spawning six major rivers. Subalpine wildflower meadows line the volcano while ancient forest cloaks Mount Rainier’s lower slopes. A lifetime of discovery awaits!

7. Grand Prismatic Spring, Wyoming

Located in Yellowstone National Park, Grand Prismatic Spring is the largest hot spring in the US. The vivid colors in the spring are the result of microbial mats around the edges of the mineral-rich water. Bright reds, greens and blues make this feature the most photographed thermal feature in Yellowstone. Put on your hiking boots and check out this hot (literally) spring!

8. Portland Head Lighthouse, Maine

Located in Cape Elizabeth, Portland Head Lighthouse is the most visited lighthouse in America. With over 90 acres of recreational space, there are opportunities to picnic, fly a kite, stroll paths, tour the arboretum, walk the cliffside loop or explore the rocky beach.

9. Grandfather Mountain, North Carolina

Grandfather Mountain has been an icon in America's landscape for generations, offering stunning scenery and ecological diversity. The mountain is said to get its name from its shape, as it looks like a man with a beard facing the sky. A true landmark of a pioneering spirit, the Mile High Swinging Bridge welcomes all visitors to admire 360-degree panoramic views from Grandfather Mountain.