9 Murals In Santa Cruz You Must See

Every city is a piece of art. Whether it is the odd looking people in it, the delicious coffee shops with the handcrafted coffee, or the ocean shore, each city has aspects about it that make it unique. Santa Cruz is by far one of the most unique cities I have ever had the experience to live in. Not only do you get people walking around downtown with no shoes on, but you also get to see intricate pieces of art scattered throughout the city. If you are one that admires going to a new place and checking out the local art, here are a few sites you must see.

1. "You Have No New Messages"

This piece is utterly terrific. If you like things that moo just as much as I do, you would appreciate how cute this piece is. If you go near River Street past Highway 1, you might have spotted a double decker cow like I have. It was created by artist Kirby Scudder to welcome people to the Tannery Arts Center.

2. In downtown Santa Cruz

There is a mural that depicts downtown Santa Cruz local life. Whether it is going to the farmers market or putting on your wetsuit to surf to cold ocean waves, Santa Cruz is an enjoyable place to spend a summer day or have a university experience.

3. Wave at Ken Wormhoudt Skate Park

Ever thought of surfing the waves? Well now you can skate the waves in Santa Cruz. It was created by local Judi Oyama to demonstrate the parallel with the skate and surf culture.

4. On your way to the University or the beach

This mural is your depiction of typical students after class hitting the beach.

5. Ray Bolivia's art piece

Now there aren't toucans casually flying around in Santa Cruz, but definitely makes the city council building area look more lively.

6. There are also some murals on the beautiful UC Santa Cruz campus.

When I was an incoming student at UC Santa Cruz a few years ago, this was one of the first pieces of art I saw when I was touring the campus. I appreciated how colorful and full of life it was. Go check it out. It is near colleges 9/10 when you are walking uphill towards the dining hall.

7. Getting students involved.

If you go towards college 10 at UC Santa Cruz, you can check out this gorgeous mural encouraging students to get involved. So as you are on your way to your next class, hopefully this will provide you with a little inspiration.

8. And if you go towards Merrill...

You can check out this variety of beautiful pieces of art depicting great people that made an impact on this earth.

These are only a few murals that make Santa Cruz unique. So when you are on your next trip to Santa Cruz and you want to take a picture or two, snap a few of the murals you see or take selfies with them. Just take a moment to appreciate the great art that has been embedded in this community.