9 Life Hacks To Surviving Band Camp

9 Life Hacks To Surviving Band Camp

Tips and tricks to get through band camp!

887
9 Life Hacks To Surviving Band Camp
Scarlett Knights

Marching band season is getting ready to start, and we all know what that means: endless rehearsals, music memorization, and sore legs from marching (trust me, you're doing it the right way). However, in order to get through the multiple weeks of band camp, there's things you can't go without. Luckily for you, here's 9 tips and tricks you need to survive band camp.

1. Sunscreen

You might want to purchase multiple bottles, because you'll need lots of it. You'll be in the sun a lot more than you think, and marching while you're a lobster isn't exactly fun.

Advice 1: My personal preference is the spray kind. It's easy to just spray on and go.

2. A Binder

This will be your marching bible for the entire season. You can keep all of your music in one place, all of your drill together, and any handouts your director gives you and tells you to not lose.

Advice 1: Put everything in said binder in page protectors, please. There's nothing more depressing than drenched music when you need it most. You will rehearse in the rain.

Advice 2: Put binder clips at the top of the page protectors, so that when your binder is strapped to you on the field, you don't have to do the dreaded chase when the wind blows your music everywhere. If need be, tape the prongs shut too!

Advice 3: 1 inch will be more than enough.

3. Poker Chips

Or some kind of way to mark your drill spots on the field. They will help you when you forget a spot and/or are just learning.

Advice 1: THESE ARE NOT MAKE IT OR BREAK IT. You're going to want to keep your eyes on the form you and your band mates are trying to create.

Advice 2: Personalize them so that you know they're yours. Duct tape, glitter, and washi tape are acceptable.

Advice 3: Put a pencil pouch in your binder for easy storage! This is also a good place to put pencils to mark your music!

4. Good Tennis Shoes

Make sure they're are good enough to be marched in for at least the entire season. You don't want to burn a flat in the midst of a rehearsal.

Advice 1: If you're buying new ones just for this, make sure they are broken in a little bit. Sore feet isn't fun either.

5. A Hat

Most of the time you will be looking up at a director or drum major, and a hat will make that look straight up SO much easier.

Advice 1: Bring a back up or two. One, you may sweat out of the first one and need another one and two, someone might forget one by accident. Band mates are all about helping people out when they can.

6. Water Jug

Hydration is SUPER important. My director always said "if you feel thirsty on the field, it's too late," and he's right. You want to keep water in you so that the hot sun is a little more bearable.

Advice 1: Get a half gallon or gallon sized one. You'll thank me later.

Advice 2: Personalize it! The jugs they sell in stores are pretty generic, and you probably will have the same one someone else does.

Advice 3: Put A LOT of ice in your jug before you leave your house. Cold water is great on a super warm day.

7. A Change of Clothes

When you come into the AC after spending a couple hours outside, sitting in your own sweat isn't quite spectacular. By bringing a change of clothes, you are more comfortable and don't have to go back outside and have double sweated clothes. *Note: You don't need everything in above picture, shirt and shorts will do.*

Advice 1: Pack a sweatshirt and sweatpants for when you're indoors. The drastic temperature change from hot outside to AC on the inside can send unwanted chills down your body.

Advice 2: Don't forget an extra pair of socks, and deodorant!

Advice 3: Females--bring an extra sports bra. Trust me.

8. Good Breakfast

Eating breakfast in the morning before band camp is so important, even if you normally don't eat breakfast. You'll be burning an excessive amount of calories, and if you don't supply your body with calories... well let's just say it's not good.

Advice 1: Avoid dairy at all costs. Milk and yogurt plus heat equals a sour stomach, and that's the last thing you want to be worried about.

Advice 2: If you think you'll need a snack during the day, bring it. I advise you bring something that won't melt so you can just keep it in your bag.

9. Personal First Aid Kit

This is super important. Of course you will want to personalize this for you (aka: if you need an inhaler, bring it).

Advice 1: Make sure band-aids get in there, and in large quantity. Blisters aren't good friends with band camp.

Advice 2: Ibuprofen will become your best friend. You want to be in tip top shape when you march if at all possible.

Of course you'll discover more as you journey through, but here are 9 of the most important tips you definitely want to keep with you at all times to get through band camp. I'll be out there too this summer, and I wish you the best of luck! Stay healthy!