9 Must Try Restaurants In Downtown Seattle From A Seattlite

Some foods are worth the mile-long line; some others - not so much.
303

After living in Seattle for 9 years, I consider myself a Seattlite. From numerous trips downtown with friends, here’s a list of the best food places to visit - created by a local!

1. Pike Place Chowder

Recognized internationally as the best clam chowder in America, Pike Place Chowder boasts numerous awards including multi-year champions of clam chowder. Although the lines are usually at least 20 minutes long, this chowder is worth every minute of the wait. I would stand in line with tourists every week just to get their New England Chowder because it is just that good.

One downside of this place is that it’s located in a small alleyway, making seating scarce and often hard to find.

2. Mee Sum Pastry

Located just across the street from Pike Place Market, this small shop sells piping hot Asian breads that are just too delicious to pass up. From beef curry hombows to chashu pork buns, this place sells it all.

3. Piroshky Piroshky

Also located across the street from Pike Place, this popular Russian spot sells both sweet and savory pastries, allowing people with all cravings to have something to choose from. I recommend the potato and mushroom piroshky and the ham, cheese, and spinach.

4. Storyville Coffee

Hidden above the Crumpet Shop, Storyville Coffee presents a modern ambiance and is a perfect place to get some work done or study for classes. Because they roast their own coffee beans, this place makes tasty lattes with a velvety milk texture, although the french press could be a hit or miss depending on when they were brewed.

5. Dick’s Burgers

Famous for its affordable burgers and delicious milkshakes, Dick’s Burgers is a local favorite. It holds a status similar to In-N-Out in California. For $1.90, this place serves up some decent cheeseburgers. Of course, with this price, don’t expect anything high quality or gourmet, but it does fill you up and leaves you satisfied.

6. La Marzocco

“Their lattes are good” - my boyfriend.

Known as an Italian espresso machine manufacturer, La Marzocco does not disappoint with their coffees. The whole shop is extremely instagrammable, and they even have a radio station in the shop. For an aesthetically pleasing yet tasty drink, order the latte or cortado.

7. Emmett Watson’s Oyster Bar

Emmett Watson’s Oyster Bar is a hidden gem in the back corner right next to Seattle Cutlery. They serve all your fresh seafood desires, from fried clams to seared fish. I really enjoyed their half-dozen oysters, which are freshly caught from the local bays. The half dozen platter offers flavor profiles that range from everything between refreshing ocean (almost salmon roe-like) and sweet clams.

8. Gelatiamo

Personally my favorite gelato spot anywhere, Gelatiamo offers a wide range of flavors, from the traditional to the unexpected. Before serving the gelato, this place places their metal cups in the freezer to delay the melting process, allowing customers to savor their frozen delight for longer periods of time. The rice gelato is a must try for anyone.

9. Daily Dozen Doughnut

Fluffy, tasty, and moist are all words that describe this already-famous spot. For $4, you can enjoy 6 small but extremely tasty donuts. These treats are great finger foods to eat while enjoying and exploring Pike Place Market.