9 First Ladies Who Deserve Some Recognition

These First Ladies show why women belong in the House — and the Senate.

60
David Kennerly

From the founding of our nation to the politics of today, the First Ladies of the United States have had a large role in the political scene. Oftentimes their accomplishments are overshadowed by the achievements of their husbands, but from defending against the British army to organizing one of the largest intergovernmental organizations in the world, the First Ladies deserve some recognition. Here are nine First Ladies that show what it really means to be a "House Wife."

1. Abigail Adams

Wife to the second president, John Adams. Abigail was a strong advocate for women’s rights and urged John and the other members of the Continental Congress to “remember the ladies,” as they built the new American government. Don’t you hate it when people don’t listen to your ideas until 120 years later? Although Abigail’s visions of females in government were delayed, she can be seen as, according to Phyllis L. Levin, “foremother of the 20th century feminist movement, who championed both the rights of woman and the abolishment of slavery.” She also wrote many letters to John while he was away doing president things in Europe. As a self-educated woman, her letters exemplify her knowledge on political affairs and demonstrate her devout patriotism. She's also the mother to the sixth president of the United States, John Quincy Adams. You go, Abigail.

2. Dolley Madison

Dolley Madison was the wife of James Madison, the guy that wrote the Constitution and Bill of Rights or something like that. Anyway, first Dolley served as Thomas Jefferson’s White House hostess and then became the First Lady when James became president. So basically she was a double First Lady. Dolley’s true claim to fame happened during the War of 1812 when British troops threatened to attack the White House.

James sent a letter to Dolley from the battlefield telling her to prepare to flee and grab some important state papers as she left. In his letter, he asked if she had the “courage or firmness” for this task. Heck ya, she had the courage and firmness for this task. Dolley not only grabbed some “important state papers” but understood the significance of the artifacts in the White House. As British troops approached, Dolley refused to leave until she could save as much as possible, preserving a large part of American history that would have burned with the White House. I imagine that if this event was made into an action movie, Dolley would be busting out of the flaming White House on a horse with a full-length portrait of George Washington under one arm and an American flag waving in the other.

3. Abigail Fillmore

Abigail Fillmore was Millard Fillmore’s teacher and later his wife (things like that were more accepted in the 1850s than they are today). Abigail helped to secure funds for the White House library, because books and education are important. She also was seen as a strong advisor for Millard. In fact, according to history.com, Millard’s failure to heed her suggestion to the veto the Fugitive Slave Act “likely doomed his chances of earning the Whig Party re-nomination.” Sorry Millard, should have listened to Abigail.

4. Edith Wilson

Next on our list of remarkable First Ladies is Edith Wilson, who was the wife of Woodrow Wilson. Woodrow suffered a stroke in 1919, so naturally Edith had to take control of the presidency. It has been said that she helped decide what issues should be brought to her husband and greatly influenced the decisions made at the time. This is also conveniently the same time that the 19th Amendment was ratified (women's suffrage). Edith became the conduit between the president and the cabinet, and her input greatly affected the political scene. Woman leadership leading to the "prosperous '20s." Sure we can look at the economic effects of World War I and the increase or industrialization or whatever, but doesn’t it seem ironic?

5. Eleanor Roosevelt

Finally, we have reached Eleanor Roosevelt, arguably one of the strongest female leaders in world history, as well as my personal favorite First Ladies (because everyone has one, right?) Eleanor was married to Franklin D. Roosevelt, in office during the Great Depression and World War II (just some minor issues to deal with, it’s fine). Eleanor was the first to use her position to advocate for different causes, which is a trend continued by many of the following First Ladies. Eleanor was a huge proponent of civil rights and women’s rights, and even served on the board of directors for the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). She also led the formation of the United Nations! And helped draft the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And was the first chairman of the UN Human Rights Commission. Come on Marvel, Eleanor is obviously the superhero that deserves the attention. With the power of communication and advocacy as the most powerful weapon, Eleanor is unstoppable. Three cheers for Eleanor!

6. Betty Ford

Betty Ford took Eleanor’s lead and used her position as First Lady to discuss issues in a new way. She was wife to Gerald Ford. The Fords were faced with the task of reestablishing the trust of the people after the Nixon Watergate scandal. Betty showed incredible strength by openly discussing topics such as her experience with psychiatric treatment, drug abuse and breast cancer. These topics were not typically discussed in public light but Betty “realized that as former First Lady, she had the power to create change and affect behavior.” She used her position in society to help create programs for women with alcohol and drug abuse. She also became a strong advocate for breast cancer awareness after her personal battles with the disease. Her openness and bravery about her personal struggles helped to humanize the role of the president and regain some trust between the people and the government. Heck yeah, Betty.

7. Nancy Reagan

Before Nancy Reagan became the First Lady, she starred alongside her husband Ronald Reagan in “Hellcats of the Navy.” After Hollywood got boring, Ronald transitioned to the political scene, and Nancy followed. Although her acting days were over, her political life was just beginning. Nancy used her position as First Lady to launch an influential anti-drug campaign. She even hosted an international conference on youth drug abuse that included 17 different countries. Oh and sometime along the way she was named Los Angeles Times' Woman of the Year. Casual.

8. Hillary Clinton

Love her or hate her as a presidential candidate, Hillary’s accomplishments cannot be undermined. As First Lady to Bill Clinton, Hillary was heavily involved in politics, especially regarding healthcare. She was appointed to the head of the task force on national healthcare reform, and contributed to other important legislation such as the Adoption and Safe Families Act. Hillary then emerged as a leader in politics, becoming the junior senator from New York and serving as the Secretary of State under the Obama Administration. And now she’s a frontrunner in the presidential election. I don’t know her personally, but she seems like the kind of lady that doesn’t even need a cup of coffee to start her day.

9. Michelle Obama

Michelle Obama. Wife of President Barack Obama. Michelle has become a role model to many Americans and is the first African-American First Lady and only the third First Lady with a post-graduate degree. Oftentimes the media focuses on her "style" and appearance, but Michelle should be looked at for more than just as a fashion icon. She focuses on targeting the epidemic of childhood obesity by promoting good nutrition and physical activity. She also is actively involved in programs to expand the education and employment options of military families. Michelle is a positive role model who works to better future generations. And looks good doing it.