9 Essentials To Get You Through Syllabus Week

To help with the easiest week of the semester.

2
Onward State

Ah, the start to another year of schooling. For some it's their first syllabus week of college, and I say welcome freshmen. For the rest of us, it most certainly isn't our first rodeo. Most of know that syllabus week doesn't apply at some schools. But, have no fear, there's many ways to survive.

1. Ask for help. Don't be scared to ask for help. Really, it's okay. No one is going to judge you if you need help. We've all been there. Ask a professor, a classmate, a friend, tutors. Just ask, it won't hurt your self pride.

2. Make new friends. Make friends with classmates, roommates, people on campus, or even your professors. Just put yourself out there because the more connections you have, the better off you are in the end.

3. Utilize your resources. Every campus has a library, an educational help center, a gym, and other great resources. It's there for your personal use, and you pay for it. It's wise to utilize the tools and resources you pay for.

4. Sleep, sleep, sleep. You need to get all the sleep you can now while you're ahead because you won't have it for the rest of the year. You'll stay up for late to finish papers and assignments, watching netflix, and just going out.

5. Don't go out all week. Yeah, we know, everyone is excited to experience a college party. Trust me, it's not all it's choked up to be. You just spend your night getting sloppy drunk to wake up with a hangover and not ready for class.

6. Exercise. Exercise stimulates the brain, and helps you stay fit and healthy. It helps to wake you up and energize you, so get that morning workout in. Keep on lifting and squatting. Lose the freshman fifteen instead of gaining it.

7. Eat healthy, balanced meals. Make sure you're eating a balanced breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This will help alleviate the stress of the freshman fifteen, or the notorious sickness most of us get from eating cafeteria food.

8. Come prepared to class. Read the syllabus prior to class, bring a pencil and paper, and your book if it's already in hand. Many professors like to jump into things after the first day, so it's always useful to just be prepared and ready to learn.

9. Don't skip class. Never skip class during syllabus week. Most classes give you three skips, which is actually equivalent to missing a week of class. Don't look bad in front of the professor for the first week already.

Read your syllabi, get through the week, and good luck for the rest of the semester!