9 Self Care Tips for Every College Student Who's Sick

Here's nine self care tips that can prove useful if you're studying for midterms while stuck with the cold and flu.
115

Flu season sucks. But you know what’s even worse than having the flu? How about actually getting not just the flu but a head cold during midterms?!? Yup, I’m sure we’ve all been there. Hell, that’s been my life this past month, having to study for midterms while sneezing my head off with mountains of tissues accumulating in the corner of my room. (It was a disgusting sight, not gonna lie.)

Any-who, while suffering from constant coughing, sneezing, and sore throats, I’ve come to realize that self-care is important, especially during midterms. So here are nine self-care tips that I’ve become familiarly acquainted with while studying for midterms that I hope will prove useful to you.

1. Sleep is literally your best friend

It’s true. Believe it or not, sleep helps with boosting your immune system and ultimately helps your body get better, not worse, over time. I can not stress enough that sleep is important in combating sickness. Also, while it is tempting to keep studying for midterms for hours on end, you’ll actually end up stressing yourself and your body out even more, and who the heck needs more stress in their life? Nobody!

2. Cough drops are heaven in your mouth

There’s nothing worse than having a nonstop cough or a horrible sore throat. Having cough drops handy on you 24/7 will provide relief to some degree for you. (FYI: I totally recommend getting these cough drops if you have a prolonged sore throat. They taste amazing!)

3. Ramen… enough said

Ah Ramen noodles, every college student’s answer to long study nights and broke-as-hell eating budgets. Ramen, or rather the broth from Ramen, helps hydrate you as you’re battling the cold and flu. Speaking of which…

4. Sunny Side up with Sunny D

Remember the Sunny D drinks you used to have as a kid? (Those were the days.) Step up your hydration game with some Vitamin D. Now, it’s probably best to stick with brands like Tropicana or Minute Maid to help with your sickness, but hey, I’m not here to judge.

5. Tissues: There will be many

Always keep them handy… always.

6. Meds: Prepare for Drowsiness (see #1)

Probably one of the most common ways to combat the flu and cold is through over-the-counter medications. I’d recommend spending some quality time with NyQuil every night. Just a word of caution though: If you’re finding yourself to be too reliant on over-the-counter meds, you may be doing yourself a disservice by reversing the effects of the medication(s) you’re taking.

7. Hot Showers Help Too

Nobody likes having body aches and pains while trying to study for midterms in bed. Take a hot shower to relieve those pains and loosen up any congestion you’re feeling.

8. Don’t be a dick: Just keep germs to yourself

Need I explain the age old lecture of “Keep your coughs and sneezes covered!” and “Always wash your hands frequently” to ya? Nah. So just don’t spread your germs around to others who are studying for that dreaded Calc final they have tomorrow!

9. Pace Yo Self Son!

Dude, you gotta take breaks. Like, seriously. While undergoing the five stages of midterms, you need to prioritize you. Feeling strung out and overly stressed does not help you get better, so take breaks in studying! Make some tea, take naps, listen to music, anything! Believe me, taking breaks will benefit you in the long run, so just do it!

While being sick during midterms sure as hell sucks, just keep on plowing through. Remember to prioritize yourself and your health and before you know it, spring break will be around the corner. You’ll get to sleep to your heart's content, just think of it.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna continue my spring break by burying myself in blankets while watching season four of Black Mirror. Peace out and good luck with midterms y’all.