The 9 Benefits Of Being A Productive Procrastinator

If your paper's not going to get done, might as well do all those other things you need to get done.

855
Pexels.com

Your sitting at ur desk with your iced coffee next to you and Microsoft Word is staring at you blankly. Most of the time your own brain hates you and decides to block any and all creativity just when you need it most. Many people at this point fall into a dark pit of Netflix and self-loathing, but not you, you decide that if the paper isn’t getting done, the rest of your life is instead and that makes you a productive procrastinator.

1. Your house/room becomes spotless.

Floors get swept, the bathroom is scrubbed cleaned, your clothes are picked up off the floor and put in your hamper, and the entire place smells like a fresh alpine breeze. You’ve got motivation to do something productive, it’s just that the motivation has been slightly misplaced into doing something else.

2. You re-organize all of your clothes.

Well, first you have to organize which season each piece is meant to be worn in. Then, you need to sort by item, followed by color of course. But don’t forget to place complementing clothes near each other. It’s a good thing you're all of a sudden motivated to do this, because who knows when it was going to get done?

3. The gym suddenly becomes a lot more appealing.

It’s amazing how much more attractive wheezing on a treadmill seems when the alternative is shutting yourself indoors and writing a term paper. You know when to take advantage of a newfound love for exercise, and so you drag out the athletic shorts from your newly organized wardrobe and hit the gym. Multiple studies show that exercise helps you think better, so this break from work is kind of like studying.

4. Laundry is a welcomed break.

Never before has the idea of laundry seemed appealing to you but suddenly you have the burst of motivation to clean everything possible, clothes, towels, sheets.

5. Your music taste expands.

It’s imperative that you find the exact musical playlist to help you concentrate while simultaneously filling you with hope and positive energy.

6. You get around to writing those emails/making phone calls you’ve put off.

Hey, it’s only April but those Christmas thank you calls to those random family members. won’t make themselves, so you may as well get them out of the way even though you're about 4 months late.

7. You start to really engage with people in conversation.

All of a sudden whatever your friend is telling you becomes a lot more interesting because the alternative to listening to her go on about her life is sitting down and actually doing your work.

8. You reconnect with people you haven’t spoken to in a while.

You really, really feel the need to get back into contact with the people that you haven't talked to and haven't felt the need to talk to in months. Like that guy you met at that concert one time four years ago. Oh, and that girl who you’re not actually friends with, but are kinda mutual friends with.

9. Your work looks really pretty and colorful.

Color coded stickers, highlighters and pens, a table organizing everything you're doing, numbered pages...all of a sudden you’re an organization machine, and the colors are making you feel so much better about the whole thing. Just keep focusing on the pretty colors and it won't feel as bad.