8 Ways To Enjoy Valentine's Day Regardless of Relationship Status

Spread love and remember that a day can only be as important as you make it.

27
Fabulous Ferns

Valentine's Day has the tendency to stir up a number of emotions; ranging all the way from the angst to joy and, for some people, indifference. Whether you're single for life, married with children, just going with the flow, or think the whole holiday is a marketing scheme: it IS possible to enjoy the holiday-- regardless of your relationship status.

Here are just 10 of some of the things you can do to celebrate, whether it's with your spouse of many years, your best friend, or your cat.

1) Take a poetry class

Crafts and Valentine's Day go hand-in-hand. While some things like cards or DIY heart-shaped decor might be fun for a few days, why not venture out into making something that you can display all year round? If you happen to have an SO, think "Ghost" and make something together. If you're single, hit up some friends or go on a date with yourself to learn a new, and fun, skill.

2) Bake Something

If leaving the house doesn't sound quite like your idea of fun why not prepare some holiday treats? Baking is a fun, rewarding activity that can be shared or done solo. Either way, you'll end up with some delicious creations or an important lesson learned on the difference between baking soda and baking powder.

3) Watch some cheesy movies

Whether you like them for the romance or for a good laugh, romcoms are a great way to spend the day safely cuddled on the couch. If you're watching with friends, try muting the movie and making up your own dialogue/plot. Hint: the cheesier the movie the more likely it is that you probably aren't too far off from the actual plot.

4) Go out for a meal

There's no better excuse to treat yourself, your friends, or your SO, than Valentine's Day. Crowds will be thick but if you're willing to brave the sea of people, nothing beats not having to cook OR do dishes.

5) Do good

Sometimes the most fulfilling way to spread some love is to give it to those who truly need it. Pick a cause you care about and make a difference. Volunteer, donate, make phone calls-- anything you can find to do to spread love and give back.

6) Play a board game

Whether it's the weather or the crowds you're not a fan of, there are plenty of ways to still have fun in your own home. Playing a board game is a mess-free and cost-free way to pass the time.

7) Have a spa day

As joyful as they should be holidays often being a great deal of stress; so why not unwind with a day at the spa? Take an hour, or several, to relax and forget your troubles.

8) Treat it like a normal day

It can be easy to get caught up in expectations. Between social media, humble bragging acquaintances, and V-Day ads everywhere, Valentine's Day can seem like a much bigger deal than it should, or has to, be. The truth is, like any holiday, it's just another day. It's set apart by a meaning, true-- but when the meaning of the day is love you have to remember that love should be celebrated every day.

Gestures from a friend or significant other on any random day of the year show they care just as much as any Valentine's gift or activity. Love, friendship, and caring aren't about obligation.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with going all out and having the time of your life with the holiday if that makes you happy. Just remember not to get so caught up that you forget to appreciate what the people around you do for you the other days of the year. Spread love and remember that a day can only be as important as you make it.