8 Ways College Students Can Relate To Tarzan

Number 8 is painfully true.

602

Growing up, "Tarzan" has always been my favorite Disney movie. Everything about it was cute: a human baby adopted and raised by a pack of gorillas who would later find his true love in a beautiful woman explorer. However, within the past few months I've realized more about this incredibly adrable film. As a current college student, it's undeniable the similarities between the average college student and "Tarzan"!

1. Your first year at college will feel like you're being dropped on a foreign island.

Although Tarzan's family was in a shipwreck and that's how they ended up on an island, the overall feelings are pretty similar to those of first-year college students. We show up at a new environment nearly the complete opposite of the one we grew up in- there's more freedom, new people, and some questionable food your stomach just has to get used to. College is a strange world and it definitely takes some getting used to!

2. In the beginning, you may feel like you just can't find your place.

It's weird being placed in a new environment, especially one full of upperclassmen. As a first-year you see all these successful upperclassmen involved in so many different clubs and activities- it can be intimidating. For a while you can feel like you haven't found your place, but you will eventually get there. For a while, Tarzan felt the same way. As a child he felt like he didn't belong in his ape family, but when he grew up he eventually found his place. All good things take time.

3. You may meet people the complete opposite of you and form the most beautiful friendships.

When I came to college I certainly became friends with people who were very different from me, but my friendships with those people are the ones I cherish most! Friendships have to be worked for, and from experience I've learned that when an individual is very different from you, you want to learn more about them. Be the elephant to someone's Tarzan!

4. Sometimes you'll do stupid sh*t to impress others.

Although this is the case for most people, it's even more relatable to first-year college students. When placed in a new environment young adults do everything they can to impress those around them, especially when there's stereotypes attached to the title of "a college student." Through movies and television shows, college life is portrayed as one giant party. Unfortunately, when some first-year college students arrive at their new school this stereotype can get to their head, and they'll do anything to impress others in order to join in on things such as the party life. The same thing happened to Tarzan when he was trying to be accepted amongst his friend group- he jumped off of a cliff just to get them an elephant hair as an "initiation" to become one of them.

5. You'll often regret certain decisions.

Just as this gif portrays, Tarzan regretting his decision to catch Jane, first-years, or any college student for that matter, definitely have their fair share of regrets. For instance, you may stay up until 4am writing that one paper you've been putting off for so long. The thing is, though, you learn from decisions like that so the overall outcome is beneficial. This is just as Tarzan catching Jane was beneficial on his part, because she later fell in love with him. As morbid as it sounds, if Jane had fallen and died, then she would not have fallen in love with Tarzan.

6. Sometimes it seems best to do everything upperclassmen are doing.

They're your role models. Everything they do is an example for you to follow- good or bad. They teach you all about the best places to party, the most enjoyable clubs to get involved in, and give the best advice. After all, they are older and have more experience.

7. Impressing your professors is as difficult as Tarzan impressing Kerchak.

Growing up, Tarzan was constantly seeking approval from the head ape, Kerchak. He worked his ass off trying to impress him just as college students try to do for all of their research papers and assignments. Tarzan's handwork paid off when he defeated Sabor so your hard work will pay off as well! Just keep pushing.

8. College boys are just. like. Tarzan.

Think about it. College boys are wild creatures who run around shirtless trying to impress women! 'Nuff said. (Credit for this point goes to my pal Kyle!)