8 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

8 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

What to do and what not to do when you arrive on campus this August.

9
8 Tips For Incoming Freshmen

It seems like it was just yesterday that I was moving into school for the first time, having absolutely no idea what I was getting myself into. I was excited, scared, unsure, and super unprepared for what the next few months had in store. I was literally just thrown into a completely new environment with a whole bunch of strangers. But, I soon realized that we were all in the same boat and that it was okay to be unsure of some things. It takes a couple of weeks to really get the feel of your new school and way of life. You figure out what the best times to go to the cafe are, which food is actually edible and where each building is. And at the same time, you meet some really awesome people who help you figure all of it out. But, there were definitely some things I wish I knew before walking into my residence hall for the first time. So here are some words of advice for the incoming freshmen:

1. Communal showers are nasty, but just deal with it.

Grab your brand new shower caddy, put on your big girl robe, and just do it. Will you be totally naked and afraid? Yeah, but you learn to live with it. It's really not too bad, and it's easy to get used to. And here’s a pro tip: Clean your hair and gross excess conditioner off the walls, and people in your hall will like you a lot more.

2. Don't blow off the orientation activities.

Mostly because you'll probably get written up if you try to do that. Thankfully, my RA only yelled at me and my roommate, making us hate her for a solid two weeks, but seriously, just go. It’s an easy way to make friends and conversation with people, especially if you're more on the shy side.You won't get any other opportunities like this, so take advantage of it.

3. Be as friendly as possible to your neighbors.

You'll be seeing them almost every day for the next semester or two, so you might as well get along. Introduce yourself, compliment their tapestry, make some small talk and be on with your day. Trust me, it's worth it and you won't have to pretend to send a text every time you guys walk by each other in the hallway.

4. Don't worry about your first class.

Nine times out of 10, its just boring stuff, introducing yourself, and going over the class syllabus. There's nothing to freak out over, but what I would do is talk to the people sitting around you. It's nice to know people in the same class, in case you feel like sleeping through your 8:15 once in a while. That way, you have someone to send you the notes and fill you in on stuff you missed.

5. Don't skip classes the first week.

Especially if you're going to a small school like I do, it just puts a bad taste in your professor's mouth, and you do not want to start a semester off being behind. Trust me, it will only get worse.

6. Try to stick to your normal diet.

Just because now you can have fries with every meal now, doesn't mean you should. If you eat normally, you can avoid feeling gross and it will be easier to adjust to school. It'll also help you avoid the dreaded freshman 15. Also, if you work out a lot, don’t get out of your routine. Of course, give yourself a few days to get into the swing of things, but find out where the gym is and stick to what you're used to

7. Meet some older students.

They will totally help you figure out your life. They already learned the ropes, and they can help you. It's like a personal guide to college. If you're a part of a sports team, they'll help you out a ton and make life so much better

8. Get involved, no matter how lazy you are.

I’m not trying to sound like a mom, but getting involved helps you meet people, get active in the campus community and helps you stay busy. Trust me, you may want to be lazy and not want to put yourself out there, but it will help you out a lot in the long run. You'll have a lot more fun and will most likely enjoy the school more if you do.

So have fun the next few weeks at home, and don't get too nervous about move-in. Oh, and don't pack every single thing in your wardrobe. You won't need half of it. But, enjoy the time you have with your family and friends now, because move-in will be here before you know it. Good luck.