8 Things You Need For Your First Apartment

Remember all of those random things that your mom has in the kitchen that you never need or use...until you can't find it?

11
Pixels.com

Alright ya'll. Real talk time.

I don't know about you, but I finally finished getting settled into my first apartment after living on campus where I literally had to start from scratch with everything except furnishings.

How about those spices and baking supplies that are just always there but constantly being used? -- Let's be real, I still have to call my mom to understand half of the spices in my pantry.

Well, we're gonna talk about those necessities so that when you move, you've got all the handy little gismos you need.

//

1. Ice Cube Trays: I know this may seem strange -- Hello, we live in a world where the freezer can make ice for us! -- but a lot of student housing apartments don't have those fancy fridge/freezer combos that make it for us. So! Stock up on those ice trays, fill 'em, and drink some ice cold water!

2. Paper Towel Rack: This is not one that I processed through right when I first moved in. At my first apartment, my roommates and I just left the paper towels on the counter...so they moved everywhere in the kitchen. Having a paper towel holder makes it super easy to give those paper towels a home, and makes them easier to get to when you need them.

3. Wall Clock: A lot of microwaves and ovens have clocks on them these days, which is super helpful -- until the power goes out. Just getting a $10 analog clock from Walmart makes a huge difference when it doesn't plug into the wall. Thank goodness for batteries.

4. Tool Kit:For the love of everything good and pure, invest in a tool kit. Or, piece one together. But seriously, having a hammer, screwdriver set, and a box of nails sitting in the cabinet makes a world of difference when you suddenly need to hang that picture frame.

5. Table Cloth: Get one. Or two. Or five. Sometimes you just won't be prepared for just how not pretty that tabletop actually is when you arrive (or thrift store it). The added bonus of having a tablecloth is that it adds great color and personality to your kitchen.

6. Ice Cream Scoop: Holy moly, get an ice cream scoop. Yeah, that gigantic soup spoon might work -- Oops, it definitely just bent in half. Just go get one, you'll thank yourself later.

7. Drying Rack: Let's face it. Using the dryer seriously heats up the house, and it costs money. You can get one super cheap at Walmart for like $10.

8. Curtains: These colorful little friends can make your space feel so much more like home. Bedroom, living room, kitchen -- Heck! You can even splurge on a super cute shower curtain! But just a reminder, make sure that you measure the window and BUY CURTAIN RODS.

//

SO. Now you know the main things that I forgot when I was moving. Get prepared. Brainstorm those lists. Browse your mom's kitchen and find what you need.