8 Things To Do When You're Stressed to De-Stress

Here are 8 little things I recommend for when you're feeling overwhelmed.

158

School? Friends? Relationships? Work? Family? Whatever is stressing you out, sometimes you just need to take a little break and walk away to cool down. Some people like to go to the gym and others take a hot bath...here are some things that I do whenever I get to be feeling overwhelmed.

1. Read a book.

If you're anxious about something going on in your life, here's a semi-productive way to de-stress. Not only do you have the chance to take your mind off of whatever is bothering you by being immersed in a good book, you keep your mind active.

2. Take a nap.

Sometimes, you just need a little time to recharge and take a break from overthinking. A quick nap can make a huge difference in how you look at things.

3. Eat a snack.

Sometimes you just need some food in your stomach to help you think more clearly. Try to stick to healthier choices like fruits or low-calorie options, but sometimes you can benefit from feeding your sweet tooth. Also, drink lots of water!

4. Watch your favorite show / movie.

Not only is this a way to pass the time, but it's also another great way to get your mind off of what is irking you. Picking a show with overly-dramatic events can help you put your problems into perspective.

5. Find a creative outlet.

Whether you're into writing music or drawing figures, being creative can let your mind "breathe" and recalibrate. A lot of people find that journaling or writing out their thoughts is an easy way to get to the bottom of what is really worrying them. Personally, I like to doodle, draw, or paint as a way to relax.

6. Talk to someone.

If you're struggling, it can be helpful to get another perspective or at least have someone listen. Talking to your friends, family, or even someone specific to the situation can relieve some stress. This can show you that you're not alone, that you have people in your corner, and can help you sort out your own thoughts.

7. Aromatherapy.

It doesn't work for everyone, but using calming scents can really change your atmosphere and therefore your attitude. My favorites to help me de-stress are lavender, eucalyptus, and peppermint, or a citrus mix to brighten my mood. Check out my brief crash course in essential oils here for more info!

8. Face your fears.

Sometimes, the only way to get rid of your stress over your situation is to face it head-on. For example, if you're stressed about a huge homework assignment that is due this week, you should probably just suck it up and do the work. I often find that homework takes a lot less time than I figured it would when I actually sit down and work on it.