8 Things You'll Only Understand If You Go To Syracuse

There are just some things that Syracuse University students know to be true that other people just don't get.

240

If you have endured the insane weather, wild sports games, and the countless construction emails you can relate to these 8 things.

1. "Housing screwed me over"

To an outsider, this may sound like the Office of Residence Life has personal vendettas against certain students. In reality, it's just another way of saying that you're living on South Campus sophomore year and it was most certainly not your choice.

2. Schine Quesadillas

If you have never experienced a Schine quesadilla, you're missing out. A quesadilla from the student center may not sound like the most appetizing thing in the world, but even for me, as someone who is severely lactose intolerant, it takes a great deal of self-restraint to not to get one every day.

3. Slipping On the Promenade

At the start of winter, slipping on the Promenade was mortifying. I would look around and say a little prayer to the universe that no one saw me. By the second semester though, I embraced that I was going to slip. I was going to fall. Everyone else would be doing the same. There's no point in being embarrassed about it.

4. The Dreaded Mount

Living on the mount is great, but it's only great once you're up there. When you're placed on the Mount, you basically have to find the majority of your friends on the Mount, because no one wants to walk up the stairs to see you, and you don't want to walk down to see them. It's nothing personal, it's just human nature to hate the idea of walking up and down 100+ stairs more than you have to.

5. The Even More Dreaded Fire Alarms

I'm not trying to say Syracuse students don't know how to make popcorn, but I never hear about my friends at other schools having their fire alarm go off more than once or maybe twice each semester.

6. It's always cold... unless there's a tailgate and then no one cares

I have never met a Syracuse student who didn't complain about the cold, myself included. But I don't know, I remember seeing pictures from tailgates before the Duke game and there was not a single jacket in sight. Think what you want, I'm just saying no one is as dedicated to tailgates as SU.

7. ESF Is Just Kinda There

It's literally just right there. I remember hearing about it during freshman welcome week and thinking there was no way there's another entire campus just… there. But it is. It's right there just minding its own business. Occasionally, when the weather is really bad, they get their classes canceled and get to enjoy the luxury of staying warm while we all suffer.

8. Syracuse is the best at basketball, and no one can say otherwise

It doesn't matter what our record is. It doesn't matter how we play in a given season. Syracuse students will swear up and down that Syracuse basketball is the absolute greatest and Jim Boeheim is a god. They're not wrong though.