9 Things That Happen Once You've Lost Your Person

How do you deal with losing your person?

764

You know that person who you can tell all your weirdest and most awkward moments to without fear that they will tell other people? The same person who is like a mom, grandma, sister, and aunt all in one, or, like a brother, grandpa, dad, and uncle all in one? The person who you can call up at any time to share your fears, excitement, or strange thoughts with? The person who always makes time for you, listens to you, and gives really good advice? The person who didn't just let you assume they were there for you, but made it a point to show it? That person is "your person." When you've lost your person, it can be really hard. Here are some things that happen once this has happened.

You cry a lot.

It's good to let it all out. Cry until there are no more tears, then cry some more. This is a natural response. That was your person. The one you told everything to, and the one who showed you that she/he cared about you on a daily basis.

You feel lost.

You just lost your person. What is next? Your future looks so unclear and hopeless, and you don't know if you can make it.

You can't remember a really special memory without them.

You probably saw your person all the time. If something big or special happened, they were probably there or in close vicinity. If not, you definitely told them the event with vivid details so they felt like they were there with you. Sharing those moments made the bond that much stronger.

Certain things trigger their remembrance.

You might walk into a place where the two of you always went and think of them. Hearing your person's favorite song on the radio might trigger memories and thoughts about them. Even doing something that the two of you used to do like lay on the floor and talk about religion, go get food at midnight, or dance around crazy will make your heart ache for their presence.

You shut down socially.

The person who was closest to you is no longer there. You compare everyone else to that person, and you set standards that are too high for anyone to ever be close to being your person again. You think, "Why bother getting to know people because they are not my person, nor will they ever be?" so you don't talk to people you didn't know before your person left until you feel ready. Plus, building the trust it takes to be this open with a person takes a long time.

You find a new hobby...or two.

You look for something to fill the void that your person's absence has caused. You try to pick up a new hobby like gardening, learning guitar, or running. You try to keep yourself busy because it helps keep your mind off of your person leaving. You think being busy is easier than feeling.

You get angry about losing them.

You were upset at your person, but you mostly wondered if it was something you did. Maybe you got angry at God for making their absence happen. Either way, you were angry at someone for no longer having your person.

You start to look for a new person.

You secretly hoped you were wrong when you said no one could ever be your person again, and eventually you got to a point where you felt open to the idea of trusting and opening up to another person. So, you actually start to seek out a person who gets you. You realize that your person might just be there for you at different stages of your life. God placed them in your life for a reason, and the next one is on his/her way into your life.

You realize that you can find another "your person."

Through all the struggles of getting over the loss of your person, you have been able to find a new side of you, which has given you the chance to find another person who will always be there for you to show they care. You have searched high and low, and have gone through a long period of learning to trust a new person, and you have found someone to become your person once again. They were probably in a place that you never thought to look. Congrats! Hold on to them.