8 Things I Learned From My Freshmen Year

School is hard. Life is hard. College is good.

10
Emilee Anne Bolden

Before I graduated high school, I had a fantasy of what college would be. I would have endless friends, be involved, have great grades, go out and somehow still get adequate sleep. Needless to say, that did not happen. Here are eight things I learned from my freshman year.

1. College is hard.

I flew through high school without actually having to try all that hard with my grades. I did not expect college to be as difficult as it was and really I still don't know how to study. Maybe I'll figure it out one day. But until that time comes, thank God for the add/drop class option.

2. I'm broke. Really broke.

After living at home with mom and dad for so long, I'm not used to having to pay for everything. I've been going with $1.76 for a few weeks now, and I have to say that I am honestly impressed with myself. But I have sustained myself on the cafeteria and mac and cheese.

3. The WiFi never works when you need it to.

Of course, I wait until the last possible minute to start my assignments, which leaves me scrambling to get it turned in. The 11:59 p.m. deadline comes around and what happens? The WiFi doesn't work. This is probably because all of the other procrastinators are trying to turn in their work at the same time. Everyone else needs to get themselves together so I can get my work in on time.

4. Naps are a gift from God.

There's no way to avoid staying up late in college. Between going out and staying up to do homework, it's rare to go to bed before midnight. After staying up late almost every night and waking up for early classes, you build up a sleep debt. To solve this problem, I take frequent naps. Nap time has quickly become my favorite part of the day.

5. Finals really are terrible.

Ah, finals week. You always hear stories about finals week, but you're never really prepared for it. There are so many tests that determine your grade, back to back, without enough time to actually study for them. Throw in all of those final papers and you have yourself a mental breakdown and a caffeine overdose.

6. Canceled classes are the best things that will ever happen to you.

You wake up exhausted. Lo and behold, you have a notification that class has been cancelled. That means you get to roll over and go right back to sleep for another hour. #blessed

7. You can change your major. Multiple times.

For some reason, I decided that I wanted to go to law school, so I changed my major to Political Science. Worst mistake ever. But God grants us the gift of changing majors, and so Political Science was no more.

8. Going out really is fun.

In high school, I was a homebody. And to some extent, I still am. But now I sincerely enjoy going out and dancing (terribly) with my friends. I look forward to Thursday night for the whole week.

As freshman year comes to a close, I realized one important thing: