nearing 21
Life Stages

8 Things I Wish I knew Before Turning 21

Acknowledging that you actually don't know everything is perfectly acceptable!

51
https://www.pexels.com/search/curly%20hair/

1) It is okay to be nervous about your future.

In my mind growing up I always envisioned my twenties to be a time filled with parties, lots of friends, and fun. In reality, I have found that lots of stressors come hand in hand with all of that as well. Ultimately, your twenties are a time when you are discovering who you are, what you like, and what makes you who you are at the end of the day. It is okay to feel nervous about not knowing all the answers to who you think you are and what you want your future to look like. Living in the moment and optimizing your time during such a confusing time in your life is what really matters. That is not to say that you shouldn't make an effort to learn more about yourself, but instead of worrying about who you are, do things to help you find out more about yourself!

2) Not knowing everything is better than thinking you know everything.

It is easy to look up to people when you are young and think, "wow, they really have it all together," when in reality they are in their mid-twenties drowning in student loan debt and have no idea what their next step in life is. They seem like they have it all together because you were young and they are more than likely putting on a front. But honestly, who really knows everything that they want to do in life? And who knows what life will throw at them next? It is better to be open-minded and prepared for life's changes than to think you have it all planned out and set yourself up for failure.

3) Everything will fall into place at the right time.

While this might seem like a cliche, it is my honest opinion. Everything that happens does for a reason at a specific time. Worrying and spending all of your time planning will just leave you feeling less satisfied and more frustrated with where you are at in life.

4) Life will give you lemons.

Life is not always filled with rainbows and lollipops. Sometimes life really kicks you in the gut. You have to learn to pick yourself up, move forward, and grow from new experiences. Without the negative sides in life, you will never fully appreciate the positive times.

5) Family is everything.

Knowing who will always have your back is the first major step in securing a foundation for your best mental health. Your family will always have some kind of connection with you that others may not understand. Though sometimes your friends become your family and that can be even better!

6) Making friends gets harder.

I wish someone would have told me a few years ago that making friends only gets harder with age. As life starts unfolding for friends and distance fills the cracks of your oldest friendships maintaining and making new relationships becomes hard. One thing I wish people would speak more openly about is loneliness in a time when everyone is glued to a screen.

7) Drinking is not all its cracked up to be.

Do you remember growing up seeing someone who was not exactly an adult but was sitting at the adult table sipping a wine? I remember thinking, wow so that is what it means to be an adult? Sipping a wine at the adult's table? Pass, it is not all that my childhood self-thought it would be. Not to say that it isn't nice to go out and have a drink with a friend on special occasions, but it really is nothing special.

8) New adventures are just around the corner.

When you turn 20 and then 21 you start realizing how close you are to the finish line with school. Then comes your dream career right behind it. Be excited about your future and your dreams. The adventures to come are the ones that will shape you into the successful person you aspire to be.