8 Signs It’s Winter

8 Signs It’s Winter

Remedy your seasonal confusion today!

11
8 Signs It’s Winter
Jake Tilton

Winter: who can tell when it’s happening? If you don’t have a watch, calendar, or ability to ask people what time of year it is, you could certainly forget what season it is. So, here are some tips to jog your memory.

1. There’s snow on the ground

Snow is a good indicator for winter. People tend to expect to see snow in winter.

2. Migratory birds have no presence

Believe it or not, if it’s cold, migratory birds go south. So, you won’t see any of those in winter. Also, don’t expect to see butterflies or hibernating animals. If you don’t know what “hibernating” means, I expect you failed basic biology and therefore also have no knowledge of what winter is.

3. The days are short

Science tells us that the sun rises later and sets earlier in winter. Please be sure to memorize your sunrise and sunset times to help inform you of the season.

4. The temperatures are routinely jacket-worthy

Do you get cold heading outside in your Hawaiian shirt and jean shorts? Do you get awful glances and/or profanities yelled at you, aimed at your outfit and your general insanity? Well, while I can’t help you if you’re so far gone that you have to wear that, but if you feel the urge to put on a heavy jacket (and maybe some real pants) because of the temperature (and not because of fashion), then it could be winter.

5. People grumble about the weather
Admit it, you eavesdrop. That’s fine! If you enjoy listening to very awkward smalltalk, though, you’ll notice a trend: people talk about the weather when they have nothing better to say. If they’re complaining about the weather, it’s probably winter.

6. Snow days are a thing
Do you like getting out of school? So does everyone else. Snow days happen in winter, so if you have one, it’s probably winter. If you go to Harvard, where the snow days number less than the number of appetizing meals in Annenberg, you can’t rely on this metric, though.

7. Salt ruins your clothes
Do you like salt stains on your nice leather shoes? No? Well, neither does anyone else. However, they serve as constant reminders that is is in fact winter. Be thankful for that.

8. The groundhog saw its shadow (if it’s past February 2nd)
Punxsutawney Phil is obviously the final arbiter of when winter ends. So, if he sees his shadow, you’ll have 6 more weeks of winter after the second of February. It's a natural law that a groundhog decides the season. Make a note of that.