8 Reasons Why You're Still Broke

8 Reasons Why You're Still Broke

There are book smarts, there are street smarts, but we all need MONEY smarts!

4
8 Reasons Why You're Still Broke
Independent UK

Let's get serious and discuss one of those things that tend to be a sore spot for folks: finances. I'm a millennial with some big goals including a family, a Tesla (one can dream), a home, and a lofty retirement. I'm sure many of us can relate since none of us like being BROKE.

Let me just clue you in on a few reasons why we (especially millennials) are still struggling to reach our financial goals, and ways to get on track.

1. Living Beyond Your Means

We've all done it. I've done it, you've probably done it. But we must STOP. Living beyond your means is purchasing items that you can afford in meantime, but cannot maintain in the long run: cars, homes, pets, beauty routines. Whatever you're doing. Don't. Treat yourself when you can, but keep it reasonable. Just because you "can" purchase something, doesn't mean you should!

Possible Solutions: relocating to have a lower living expense, buying a less expensive car/choosing less costly features, budgeting monthly "treats," practicing self-control through strict spending.

2. Compulsive Spending

LORD this is ME! It's similar to #1, but a little different. Compulsive spending is an urge to spend excessively on a single trip on occasion; it can be on-going but I think for some it's a one-time emotionally charged shopping spree. You got a new job, you got broken up with, you're feeling down so you compulsively spend at once sporadically. You still end up forgetting important payments or not having enough for your necessities. This is tricky since it's a mind thing.

Possible Solutions: Budget enough to go on a planned shopping spree, consider seeing your therapist/counselor to find an underlying issue (there are free sessions online these days!) place alerts on your account to tell you once you've hit a particular balance.

3. Banking with a national bank exclusively

Now, this takes a second to explain but credit unions are the way to go! CU's are non-profit meaning they do not use any of the money coming in to pay outside people (investors, stakeholders, etc). All fees are used as dividends that go into your accounts: all accounts earn interest! They usually have fewer fees and lower interest rates on loans and credit cards. I spent so much money on fees with my last bank I had to cut that OUT! I still have an account with them just in case anything happens. For my Georgia folks, check out Georgia's Own Credit Union!

Possible Solutions: Research credit unions in your area (you must apply and live in their districts), or find a smaller bank with fewer fees and lower rates.

4. Credit Cards

See, credit cards are actually helpful but many of us don't know how to use them so we spend, spend, SPEND and then have excess debt. Stop that, k?

Possible Solutions: Pay off your current credit card and leave it alone! If you want to use them responsibly, put a low bill that you already pay on a card with low interest and pay it monthly. Try going to for cards with points/perks/cash back.

5. No Savings account

This is so important! You may not know what it is you're saving for yet but open one! In case you lose your job, incur an expected expense, or need to splurge without skipping on bills. 10% each check is the convention, but some people do as much as 30% per check. Trust me, you'll thank yourself. Not doing so is an immature financial choice.

Possible Solutions: Direct deposit an automatic 10% from your checks OR do it manually. No matter the amount just put something away!

6. No Budgeting

This goes without explanation. I budget every two weeks and I know every dime coming in and out, man! Whether you keep a spreadsheet, notepad, text to yourself, you just need to plan what you spend and STICK TO IT.

7. Not utilizing coupons/rewards/loyalty cards

Talk about HEROES. I looked at my receipt from Kroger and it said to date from January I've saved $175 on groceries using my loyalty card. To put it in perspective I grocery shop every week with a $65 budget; there have been 42 weeks since I signed up. That's an average of $4.16 knocked off the bill per week. Seems small but then you realized you could've spent almost $200 more! Don't sleep on that stuff, y'all.

Possible Solutions: Many grocers have loyalty and reward cards, and some are even linked with gas stations. If it's free and earns some kind of rewards then do it! Shell, BP, Kroger, Jewel, and QuikTrip all have some great reward programs. The "Flipp" app gives you all the coupons in your area with your ZIP and is free.

8. Having a single stream of income

Many wealthy people, millionaires especially, have said they didn't become a millionaire with one stream of income. I believe it. You don't HAVE to have multiple streams if you're making well over your overhead, but this is for those of us who could use a "lil bit mo." Supplement your primary income with something part-time/freelanced. Many of us have skills others will pay for. That way, you don't have to reach into your full-time paycheck to support your part-time habits :) I don't know about you but I have a mean Sephora itch.

Possible Solutions:Upwork - a site for freelancers with hard skills such as data entry, virtual assistance, presentation editing, proofreading, marketing. Big and small companies contract out freelancers to get things done. anywhere from $10 one-time jobs to year long contracts bringing in an extra 3k a year. Fiverr is a similar site, but for lighter skills. Also Uber, Lyft, blogging, YouTube, babysitting, tutoring, etc.

Whatever your issue, these are possible reasons you aren't glowing up financially [yet] and they make huge differences. I'm still navigating, but I wanted to share reasons why I was broke before and I knew y'all could potentially relate! Bless up.

SPEND light, y'all.