8 Reasons Women Should Try Short Hair

8 Reasons Women Should Try Short Hair

You may love it, you may hate it, but guess what? Hair grows.

189
8 Reasons Women Should Try Short Hair
Jelena Lomeli

We live in a society that, for the longest time, has favored women with long hair. We hear comments like, "Men like long hair!" and "You have such beautiful hair, why would you cut it all off?!" But when it comes to our hair, shouldn't it be our decision? And when it comes down to it, there are many reasons to give short hair a try:

1. Spontaneity!

When I decided to get a pixie cut a year and a half ago, I made the decision the night before I got my hair cut. I thought, why not? It was a major decision that I made in less than 24 hours, and I never once regretted it.

2. Confidence

Now, I'm not saying that we should rely on our outward appearance for confidence. But for me, taking that drastic leap by chopping off my hair gave me a sense of power and the courage to conquer my fears--and not just fears about my hair. For many women, long hair is a security blanket; it may be scary to chop it all off, especially if you've worked hard to grow out your hair.

3. It's something different

Long hair is gorgeous--but there's only so much you can do with it. For some, long hair is not only safe but it is also consistent; for me, I am always wanting to change my hair, and there are so many short hairstyles to try out!

4. Growing it out

Should you grow tired of a certain haircut--like the pixie--growing it out may seem like a hassle, but really it's just an opportunity to try new styles along the way. Trying out different styles is like trying out different versions of yourself. If "all the world's a stage" as Shakespeare said, then a woman's hair is the costume she adorns for each character she portrays.

5. Shorter morning routine

You have a lot less hair to worry about styling, and so instead of spending your entire morning washing, blow drying, and straightening or curling your hair, you free up more time to eat breakfast, spend time with family, or sleep in.

6. You save money

Because you have less hair to style, you use up a lot less shampoo and hair products, which means you don't have to buy them as often.

7. Your hair doesn't get in the way

Windy day? No problem. Hair getting caught in your purse or backpack strap? Not anymore.

8. You might inspire others

Maybe someone you know is considering cutting her hair short, but she is afraid of chopping her hair off. But if she sees that you conquered the same fear and it wasn't a complete disaster, she'll gather the courage to give short hair a try, and maybe even find the confidence and courage to face some of her other fears as well.