8 Reasons To Be Sacramento Proud

8 Reasons To Be Sacramento Proud

127
8 Reasons To Be Sacramento Proud

Going home to Sacramento for winter break always gives me a new appreciation for my city. Sacramento can get a bad rep from people who have never been there, or do not understand how many places there are to go and see. It may not be a beach town in Southern California or the Bay Area, but in some ways it can give these places a run for their money.

Here is 8 things I love about Sacramento:

1. The Trees

There's a reason why Sacramento is also known as the "City of Trees." Every street in the neighborhoods surrounding downtown Sacramento has a canopy of trees hanging over it. I love coming home for Thanksgiving when the leaves are an assortment of red, yellow, and orange.

Pictured above: Curtis Park

2. The local boutiques

Every time someone asks me where I got an article of clothing, my answer always seems to be "some boutique in Sacramento." Cuffs, Sugar Shack, Krazy Mary's, and Heart Boutique are just a few of my favorites. These local boutiques not only have trendy, affordable clothing, but they are also located in the heart of midtown. Instead of driving all the way out to Arden mall, you can get some unique items and enjoy walking around J street.

Pictured above: Sugar Shack on J Street

3. Coffee shops, galore!

Every corner you turn in Sacramento, there is another trendy coffee shop. The Mill, Insight Coffee Roasters, Temple, Tupelo, and Coffee Garden are several places I find myself going to weekly. You can meet friends there, get some work done, or just stop in for a cappuccino to go. Each one has a different vibe and aesthetic.

Pictured above: The Mill

4. The River

Sacramento is located at the confluence of the American River and the Sacramento River. I love going for long runs along the American River or meeting friends on the beach of the Sacramento River in the summer. Not only is it a fun place to tan, swim, and hangout, but it makes for a beautiful view. There's nothing like eating at a restaurant in Old Sacramento while looking out at the river and Tower bridge.

Pictured above: View from Rio City Cafe

4. Jack's Urban Eats

If you've ever talked to someone from Sacramento, I'm sure you've heard them mention the infamous "urban fries." Jack's Urban Eats has incredible sandwiches, salads, and sides, and it is the perfect place to grab a quick lunch with friends.

Pictured above: Jack's Urban Fries

5. The Breweries

There are so many fun breweries to go to in Sacramento. Track 7, Beer Garden, Yolo Brewing Company, Pangea, and University of Beers are several that I find myself going to. They are perfect places to hangout with family and friends, and a fun way to experience and try new beers.

Pictured above: Track 7 IPA

6. Going to Kings' Games

I'm not a huge sports fan, but I am definitely a fan of the Sacramento Kings. Attending a Kings' game is always a fun way to spend an evening, and I could not be more excited to have the new arena right in downtown Sac.

7. The Ice Cream Parlors

It's safe to say I spent the majority of my childhood at Vic's Ice Cream. Located in the heart of Land Park, it was always (and still is) a fun place to ride your bike to and hangout with friends on a hot summer day. Gunther's Ice Cream and Burrs are also some favorites of mine.

Pictured above: Vic's Ice Cream in Land Park

8. The Parks

Sacramento is surrounded with different parks. There's Curtis Park, Land Park, McKinley Park, East Portal Park, Cesar Chavez Park, and so many more. Not only are these parks beautiful, but they are a great place to take your dog, play sports, or go for a picnic.

Pictured above: Land Park

Who wouldn't love coming home to Sacramento for the holidays when this is what you have to look forward to?