8 Reasons Why Theatre Is Important

8 Reasons Why Theatre Is Important

It's not just play-acting, it can be therapeutic and helpful too.

7759
8 Reasons Why Theatre Is Important
Cultura Alternativa

Friends

You make so many friends when you’re in theatre and involved in productions. I have made so many friends just by being in one show and being in theatre for three months. Everyone in theatre is so kind and outgoing and it really helps to have people like that in your life.

Confidence

Theatre is something that helps you build confidence without forcing you into situations where you’re speaking publicly in which you might be uncomfortable. Theatre is a safe place where you can open up and just be yourself, and when that gets to be too much, you can comfortably slip into a character’s shoes and become them.

Experience

Theatre gives you some genuinely amazing life experiences and also helps you build your communication skills. If you are going into something that requires good communication, theatre can help you build that experience.

Self-Expression

Theatre helps you express yourself and teaches you how to interpret others emotions and makes it easier to understand yourself and others. Understanding theatre is what makes us human. Theatre is so full of raw emotions, and emotion is what makes us human.

Creativity

Theatre gives you the tools you need to be creative and helps you develop your creativity. You get to do just about everything in theatre; you get to be anyone you want to. You can become anyone as long as you have the imagination to dream it.

Raw Talent

Theatre demands and therefore supplies raw talent. When you perform live, you have no second chances, no room for editing. You can’t just cut out what you don’t like. Once it’s happened, it’s done. Theatre, because of its requirement of perfection, also gives a certain amount of talent to whoever practices it. But you don’t have to be perfect to do theatre. It’s more about telling a story than getting everything exactly right.

Stress Relief

Theatre, among other art forms, has been proven to be therapeutic and relieve stress. Theatre offers a comforting place to someone other than yourself. You can immerse yourself in another character and become something that you’re not. There is even a process called Drama Therapy in which a person acts out roles in front of a therapist that would help them with self-awareness and become aware of their emotions and project them into the characters they play.

Education

Theatre can be very educational. Many period pieces give an insight to the cultural and historical ways people did things. A lot of plays and even some musicals are a great way to introduce literary and historical themes not only to children, but to adults as well. Take Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar, while he stylized it to fit the stage, he kept most of the historical details accurate.