10 Things Theatre People Understand

10 Things Theatre People Understand

"The theatre is magic, and blessed are those who make that magic."

24
10 Things Theatre People Understand
Theatre.ucr.edu

Hello, here we are. You, probably a theatre person since you're reading this. And me, also a theatre person. Now, if you're not a theatre person, let this be a look into the dark side. ;) And if you are a theatre person, hello, my fellow theatre folk. Here are 10 things we mutually understand.

1) That one song from that one musical that can get you through anything.

We all have one. For me, it’s A Way Back To Then from [title of show]. This is the song you listen to after a bad day, when you’re stressed, feeling down, or when you just need some positive reassurance. It never fails to lift your spirits, and you’re forever thankful that your “pick me up show-tune” exists.

2) That one time you saw a performance you needed to see.

You were sitting in the audience feeling like the script was written specifically for you. You saw something that spoke to you at a certain time in your life and offered comfort, confirmation, or even a reminder that whatever it was, would turn out okay. You left the theatre that evening feeling inspired and lucky that such powerful art was able to help you cope. And that is one of the many reasons we always return because we seem to find something that keeps us there.

3) The beauty of differences in interpretation.

Maybe you’ve seen the same show twice, in two completely different ways. One director’s trash could be another director’s treasure. As a theatre people, we are able to see differences in interpretation, and understand what each different focus is trying to illustrate.

4) The ability to find underlying meanings in everything.

Sometimes, we take this one a little too far. But hey, we’re theatre people, we can’t help it! Coincidence doesn’t exist to us, it’s all beautiful irony and philosophical thoughts about how the world operates and the meaning of life. For some reason, we can’t accept that the curtains are blue because they’re blue. The curtains are blue because the designer of the curtains was going through emotional dismay and felt compelled to express themselves through the creation of the blue curtain, translating to the mood of the room in which the blue curtains hang. There has to be a REASON. Not just because the curtains are blue. That would be INCREDIBLY too simple. (winky face)

P.S. Due to our overactive analysis skills, passion for symbolism, learning to question everything, and being an absolute nerd for excellent writing, the smartest kid in your high school English class was probably a theatre kid.

P.P.S. Also due to these reasons, we have high expectations for relationships and once we are in them might feel mentally unstable and extremely confused and afraid. But it's fine. We're fine. Everything is fine. :-)

5) The feeling of exhaustion and just wanting to give up.

We’ve all been there. You know, when you aren’t cast, you have a bad rehearsal, feeling like everyone is better than you, or that you’ll never be good enough, the list goes on and on. We have all felt like theatre just isn’t worth it anymore and almost threw in the towel, but didn’t, because we know what we have to offer. We know that a temporary feeling is nothing compared to the big picture. We know that without theatre, our lives would be incomplete. We also understand that we are extremely dramatic an most of the time we just need to go to bed, and after tomorrow’s coffee, we’ll be just fine.

6) Speaking of coffee, COFFEE.

Coffee is always, always involved. Coffee is a stimulant, and we are artists. It completes our theatrical aesthetic.

7) Pre-show rituals.

We all have them. Things we do on our own. Things we do with a group. The things that absolutely must be done before we perform.

8) Knowing EVERYONE.

Seriously. We’re all connected somehow, some way. Yet, we're always SHOCKED when we see a theatre person we know.

9. When it clicks.

You know. When you feel ready. When it finally feels right.

10. We are ALL in this community for the same reasons.

From the outside, you cannot understand it. From the inside, you cannot explain it. "What if life were more like theatre, wouldn't life be grand?"

So, there it is. 10 things that tie this crazy, beautiful, world of theatre together, and we all know that we would't have it any other way.