8 Reasons Why Galentine's Day Is Better Than Valentine's Day

The celebration of female friends shouldn't be overlooked.

251
Hưng Nguyễn

Leslie Knope had no idea what she would start when she began inviting her female friends out to brunch. Known as “Galentine’s Day”, the mock-holiday ran on the sitcom "Parks and Recreation" in 2010, calling for a gathering of girlfriends on February 13th to celebrate platonic friendship. Since the episode’s airing, many American women have likewise carried on the tradition, catching up with each other over food or drink while simply enjoying each other’s company.

With so much cultural focus on Valentine’s Day and the pressure to be in a romantic relationship, Galentine’s Day offers a break from cultural anxieties. In some cases (including the eight below), I think Galentine’s Day might even be better than Valentine’s Day. Because really, shouldn’t we be putting an effort in celebrating our friends, too?

1. For one, girl love can be just as powerful as romantic love.

Let’s be honest, platonic love is just as heart-warming as any sort of romantic bond. Galentine’s Day is a time for friends to come together and treat each other with the affection and fondness we deserve. You don’t need to have an S.O. in your life to be happy and appreciated--your friends are all you need.

2. It's an excuse to spoil your female friends.

Who doesn’t like giving gifts? Even something as small as a bottle of nail polish or a sweet card can go a long way. Because they deserve it, right? Sometimes we all need a little pampering.

3. Remind each other how much you care about them.

It’s easy to get caught up in the bustle and stress of your daily life, but making time for the people you care about is incredibly important. They’ve been with you through thick and thin, through bad times and good. And sometimes expressing that you miss hanging out with them is a reminder of how much they mean to you.

4. Indulge in your sweet tooth.

Leslie Knope makes it clear that Galentine’s Day isn’t a day for salads. So, indulge! Make some cute cookies, douse your waffles in whipped cream, and dig in.

5. An excuse to pamper yourself.

We all know how hard we work in school, in our jobs and in our day-to-day lives to make sure everything runs smoothly. Galentine’s Day calls for us to take a little break. Put that paper on hold, give yourself a couple of hours for “me” time and hang out with your girls. February 13th demands face masks, movie nights and friendship--there’s no room for stress here.

6. Brunch!

Brunch: the ultimate lady get-together. If you don’t want to bother with the pots and pans or maybe want to treat yourself with something other than a facial, head over to your favorite café and settle in. Galentine’s Day brunch staples mean good food and better company.

7. Appreciate the female bond.

The Hallmark holiday of Valentine’s Day pushes us to only celebrate romantic partners. But, in doing so, society undermines the reserve of friendship. Megan Garber, from “The Atlantic," writes that, “The holiday has become associated with feminism, friendship and the broader celebration of women. It is, in the most cheerful of ways, political.” Female empowerment and friendship is such a dynamic movement and the fact that this sitcom tradition has carried on into the fabric of our culture is truly incredible.

8. Friendships deserve a celebration.

To summarize: lady friends rock. Let’s continue to come together and appreciate one another (hopefully over a big plate of waffles).