8 Words Of Wisdom Before Saying Bye To Your Wisdom Teeth

Make sure to be fully prepared before having your wisdom teeth removed!

2111

If there is something almost all of us have in common it's definitely getting our wisdom teeth removed. These third set of molars usually begin to erupt during our late teens or early 20s.

For some of us, it may seem like a nightmare to have them removed. However, it's a matter of being prepared, taking proper care, and being brave!

I think this is one of those things that you’ll never know how it truly is until you go through it, but it's always helpful to stay informed and have an idea of what to expect! If you are getting yours removed here are eight helpful things to keep in mind!

1. Be Informed

If your wisdom teeth are starting to come out or if you’re experiencing pain because they are impacted, the first thing you should do is to pay a visit to your dentist. It’s important to know if you really have to have them removed or not. Every case is different so you must confirm with your dentist first. I went to three different dentists to make sure I needed them removed. Believe me, you want to be confident in the decision of taking them out.

2. Who Will Extract Them

Your next concern should be trusting the surgeon who will actually perform the extraction. I was lucky to have a great surgeon who took care of me every step of the procedure. He would reply to all of the questions I had and explained everything thoroughly. During the day of the extraction, I was extremely nervous, but the staff was incredibly patient with me, especially the surgeon, so at the end, it was a successful surgery.

3. Prepare For it

Your surgeon will give you instructions on what to do before the extraction. Whether it’s local anesthesia, conscious sedation or general anesthesia, you must follow all of the instructions given. Verify everything with your surgeon--you might have to go in with an empty stomach or without nail polish. If you are nervous the day before, you might want to watch a movie with friends or family or go for a walk in the park so you can relax.

4. Bring Someone With You And Don't Make Plans The Day Of

You will be advised to bring someone with you if you are undergoing surgery. This person will be responsible to drive you back and film you on video if you say nonsense after you come out from the extraction! I’m not going to lie, the first day is the hardest. I couldn’t eat, I was bleeding and I looked like a chipmunk because of my swollen face! Make sure you don’t have any major events for the day in case you don’t feel up to your fullest self.

5. Take Time Off If Needed

Although the first day may be the hardest, you may not feel well for the next few days. Your face may still be swollen (which is a natural reaction to surgery), and you might not be able to eat still. Try to not make plans for the first few days of the extraction or take some days off of work if you need it. If you are in school, having them removed during winter break or summer vacation is always a great option. Take the time you need to recover, and always consult your dentist if you have any questions.

6. Plan Your Diet For The Next Few Days

You may find it challenging to eat afterward. Stick to a soft diet for the first few days. This is the perfect time to pamper yourself with some ice-cream! Scrambled eggs, mashed potatoes, applesauce and soups are other options as well. Stay away from anything crunchy, small seeds or hard foods to chew. You don’t want to mess up the healing process. Don’t forget to drink plenty of water and stay hydrated.

7. Hygiene Is A Priority

Your surgeon will also give you instructions on how to wash your mouth properly after the extractions. It’s important to keep your mouth clean to avoid any possible infections. Be very careful since your gums are still healing from the extractions. A helpful tip is to rinse with salt water. I urge you to follow your surgeon’s instructions to clean your mouth correctly.

8. Embrace The Process

You only get your wisdom teeth removed once, or a couple of times if you don’t get them out all at the same time. Take advantage of this time, and take care of yourself. Watch plenty of movies or read to relax while you recover. Spend time at home with your family and enjoy eating ice cream! Remember, you are not the only one who has gone through it, so don’t be afraid to ask for support. The worst symptoms will only last for the first few days, and before you know it, you will be fully recovered!

These are only a few recommendations. I can’t emphasize enough to always go to your dentist or oral surgeon with all questions. They are the experts and will provide you with the information that you will need. Make sure you follow what they indicate you to do, and take any medicine you are given. If you are having your wisdom teeth removed I wish you good luck and a soon recovery!