8 (Not so Touristy) Places to Visit in Washington, D.C.

347
Gigart

Depending on where you live, there may come a time where you feel bored with the places you visit. I will admit, living in Washington, D.C. is amazing and there is so much to do, but there are times where even museums become a little boring. I realized that there were so many places that are overshadowed by the typical tourist places in Washington, DC. So whether you are a resident of Washington, D.C. or visiting just for a short time, here are 8 non-touristy places to visit in Washington, D.C.

1. The Potter’s House, Adams Morgan

If you like books and tea, this is the place to be! Established in the 1960’s, The Potter’s House is a cute little coffee shop/bookstore that is the perfect place to study, socialize, or sit and read one of the many books they have on display.

2. Constitution Gardens, Downtown DC

Believe it or not, this is one of the downtown D.C.’s hidden oasis’! Located between the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool and the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, Constitution Gardens is a nice place to sit, relax and escape the hustle and bustle of Washington, D.C. I have been here quite a few times and believe me when I tell you, this is one of the most relaxing places in D.C. And if you’re a nerd like me, you’ll appreciate the added perk of being able to visit the memorial dedicated to the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence!

3. Bethesda Row, Bethesda, MD

Bethesda Row located in Bethesda, Maryland, is a vibrant district that includes shops and restaurants. Bethesda Row is the perfect place to shop without breaking the bank or just for an evening walk. I personally like coming here at night because all the streets are lined with beautiful lights!

4. Library of Congress Reading Rooms

Ok, so I know what you are thinking: the Library of Congress is a touristy site. But not when you have your Library of Congress Card. People who have their Library of Congress Card are able to access the numerous reading rooms in the Library of Congress. Personally, I try to go to the Library of Congress every weekend because it is one of the best places to do homework! So if you want a new place to do homework, study, or just do research in one of the rooms, then I would definitely recommend getting your Library of Congress card!

5. Crepeaway, L Street NW

Crepeaway is one of my personal favorite places to visit. Not only does it have great tasting crepes (highly recommend the Obama crepe btw), but it’s a lot of fun! A lot of college students from the area visit this place late at night and bring the fun! Who knew dancing on tables could be so much fun?!

6. Bishops Garden at the National Cathedral, Wisconsin Ave

This is another one of DC’s hidden oasis’ where you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city. Bishops Garden is 59 acres of pure beauty. The gardens are open year round, and are free to visit. So, if you want a place to read, study, or even walk around to clear your mind, this place is definitely the place to be! And an added perk is being surrounded by the beautiful architecture that the National Cathedral has to offer!

7. Thomas Sweet Ice Cream Shop, Georgetown

Want to hear something better than waiting on line for Georgetown Cupcakes? Head a few blocks down from Georgetown Cupcakes to Thomas’ Sweet Ice Cream shop. Here, you can satisfy your sweet tooth with some of the most delicious homemade ice cream in the country!

8. Old Town Alexandria, Alexandria VA

Ok, so technically this is not in D.C. BUT historically speaking, this is DC’s original towns so is technically valid for this article. Anyways, located minutes away from Washington, D.C. on the Potomac Waterfront, Alexandria is recognized for it’s dynamic arts, beautiful restaurants, scenic waterfront, etc. Some things to do in old town Alexandria are exploring the waterfront, checking out the farmers market, and dining in historic buildings!