8 Things You Learn Living In A Sorority House

It is surprisingly nothing like Legally Blonde

17
totalsororitymove.com

This past year, I got the opportunity to live in my sorority house. Moving in, I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure what to expect and every time I told someone I was living with 20 girls their instant response was, "I'm sorry.. Now it is summer and I have moved out and I can officially say it was one of the most interesting and rewarding experiences I've had thus far. I'm sure you can tell that there are a few things I have learned the past nine months and luckily, I'm going to share them with you.

1. Girls are gross too.

I feel like males are the only ones to get backlash for their ability to live in filth but just to paint an image for you, one of my roommates a few weeks ago texted all of us saying "I just pulled a 2 pound hairball out of the shower."

2. 20 cooks in the kitchen is way too many.

Even though all of my housemates and I got along really well, that is not to say that we all agreed on everything. 20 girls under one roof means 20 opinions and 20 different ways that people were raised and trust me, its a lot to handle.

3. Along with that, 20 girls = 500 pairs of shoes.

Our foyer was almost impossible to get around due to the enormous and grotesque amount of shoes we owned. I'm super guilty of this one.

4. Not everyone is going to respect chores.

This one is not to be taken as passive aggressive. There are just some people who physically can't remember to take the trash out when it is their turn or to unload the dishwasher when it is full.

5. Making food will always be an issue.

Someone is always allergic to nuts or dairy and someone is always on a diet or is a vegetarian. The good thing about this is I now have a pallet for gluten free pasta.

6. No one will ever answer the doorbell.

Moving in, I vowed I would always answer the doorbell. However, everyone always assumes that someone else is going to get it. We've left so many people out in the cold this year because of that. Sorry people!

7. The house is either bustling or dead silent.

At night, people are always yelling or running around and sometimes that is comforting (unless you need to get up at 6 in the morning to student teach, like myself). However, if you walk in on any given weekend morning not a peep is made in the entire four floors.

8. You learn to live with a lot of different personalities.

I am very fortunate I got to spend this year living with 20 people. I will always remember the good times we had and the lessons I learned along the way. Shout out to all 20 of you for making sophomore year as fun as it was!