8 Frustrations of the Movie Theater Employee

Where popcorn spills and rowdy teenagers go hand in hand.

102
Marcus Theaters

I love movies. I see anywhere from 50-75 new releases every year and ultimately, would love to be a professional film critic at some point in my life. About a year ago, I secured a position as “floor staff” at a local theater that I was familiar with. Naturally, the atmosphere was ideal for me, and the free tickets would certainly alleviate the ticket costs I was constantly paying. And even though I don’t get paid to watch movies and review them from the comfort of my home, this was probably the next best thing.

Let me be clear, I don’t hate my job. Whether it be in retail, fast food or a movie theater, working ANYWHERE for long enough will usually generate an irritating, frustrating, annoying and aggravating list of specific grievances for that line of work. If you work (or have ever worked) at a movie theater, then I hope that you can relate to some of the items on this list. If you’ve never worked at a theater, hopefully we can relate on a level of general frustration in the work place.

In no specific order, here are some frustrations I have with working at my movie theater:

1. Loyalty points

To put this simply, it is in your best interest to NOT mess up someone’s loyalty points. Though, with being thrown (not handed, usually) close to a million loyalty cards each day, it’s easy to get caught up in the monotony of it and grow a little less considerate after every red-faced guest demands their points. A free popcorn is a sacred prize to the customer and is to be taken VERY seriously.

2. Dirty theaters

It is 9:35 p.m. on a Friday. the biggest auditorium is about to release 200 hot, sweaty patrons whom all have one thing in common: they left all their trash in the theater you’re about to enter. You and your team of 4 to 5 “ushers” join hands as you recite a short prayer, for there is no hope in cleaning this theater without the help of some higher power. It’s like a crime scene as you round the corner, a trail of popcorn is scattered on the stairs, an incredibly large drink is left spilled on the floor, and used napkins fill the cup holders containing unknown substances. It’s truly a horrific sight, and you only have around seven minutes to make it all disappear.

3. Senior discount day

First, I respect my elders, for the most part. This frustration only applies to a small percentage of seniors; the rest are absolute sweethearts. If your theater is like mine though, chances are it dedicates one day a week to the old-timers in your life. Watch in horror as the elderly embarrass you in front of your coworkers, belittle your work and eliminate your feeling of self-worth, all in the span of a 30 second transaction. With entitlement coursing through their veins, seniors will stop at nothing to ensure their $4 ticket is secured one hour and 45 minutes before show time—you know, cause they’re old, and they show up early.

4. Big opening weekends

Whether it’s Marvel, Star Wars or a new Pixar movie, there’s usually a few huge releases a year — the kinds that change the whole atmosphere. What was once a calm, peaceful theater (with occasional bumps in the road and some busy days) is now an apocalyptic pit of sand and fire—something straight out of Mad Max.

5. Concessions

Where do I begin? For starters, you cannot be truly initiated until you’ve been branded by a molten hot popcorn kernel. Your balance and ability to walk will be tested, as wearing slip-resistant shoes only goes so far to protect you from the slick, oily floor you’ll be skating on. You’ll likely have to fake a smile for an outraged guest offended by the price tag on a large popcorn and drink combo, seemingly unaware of the history of movie theaters and their concessions prices. Lastly, cleaning the concessions stand is a true project. Whether it’s the never-ending dishes that need washing, the tedious scrubbing of the popcorn kettle, or the emptying of (roughly) seven colossal trash bags dripping delightful juices, you’re sure to have your fair share of disgust and exhaustion by the end of the night.

6. Tearing tickets:

There are few things in this world that make me angrier than a feeble, beady-eyed customer nervously approaching my podium with the words, “I um… one sec… um… okay here we go… I don’t know which one is my ticket,” as they slam down their packet of receipts, theater offers and tickets. Believe it or not, I am not your personal accountant. Yes, we give out a lot of paper, but it is your responsibility to organize your life and tickets accordingly. My job is to rip your ticket and direct you to your auditorium, please don’t make that any more difficult for me.

7. Kids/teenagers:

Like a high school cafeteria, the lobby of my theater is usually packed full of loud, overconfident teenagers on busy weekends. Some of these Generation-Z youngsters have a great sense of maturity and manners—good job, parents! But the others? For them, the movie theater is a place for great discussion, both in person and over text. Rather than watching the movie their fathers paid for, the wise-cracking whipper-snappers would much prefer being lectured by one of our ushers and risk being kicked out entirely. Of course, they don’t listen to or respect many people, so they’re usually a problem in the theater from the second they enter until they leave.

8. Drunk people:

My theater not only sells alcohol, but is also attached to a casino/bar— in other words, many guests end up stumbling in. They start first with the poor box office clerks, practically kissing the microphone on their end, voices usually so loud and shocking that the sound is distorted and unrecognizable. After a few minutes of choosing a movie, they’ll usually make their way over to the concessions stand. Many of them will attempt to crack jokes, some will yell and others will simply order one of everything and (probably) end up over-drawing from their bank account for popcorn and Sour Patch Kids. Then they head over to their theater, and of course they ask, “can we bring this [alcoholic drink] inside?” “No,” we unanimously reply, “now chug.”

But I digress. Because whether it’s the old people or the hot and slippery concessions stand, I love it all. The atmosphere feels like a second home to me, and many of my coworkers and all elements of the building (good, bad or ugly) are what makes the place what it is. Thinking retrospectively, I appreciate my job and the frustrations that accompany it — but that doesn’t mean I won’t want to pull my hair out when I have to scrub nacho cheese out of a seat.