8 Frustrating Myths About Feminism
Politics

8 Frustrating Myths About Feminism

Feminism is NOT a dirty word.

336
8 Frustrating Myths About Feminism
TED

There's a new trend on social media everywhere that involves women swearing off feminism. These women subscribe to common myths about feminism, most likely started by men who felt threatened by feminism. Feminism has and always will be a movement that helps women and people of all genders, so it's puzzling for women to express such hatred towards it.

Before starting the list, here's a quick refresher on the definition of feminism, according to Merriam Webster: "The theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes." Its second definition is: "Organized activity on behalf of women's rights and interests." With that, let's start the list.

1- Feminism Is Centered on Hating Men

Men are usually the ones who believe this myth, especially since Meninism was formed as a reactionary movement to feminism, but I have heard women verbally expressing belief in this myth too. Feminism, as a movement, is about loving and supporting women and making sure women have the same opportunities as men, and vice-versa. Feminism is about all genders being equal, not focusing on making one gender superior to the other; feminism is not a movement grounded in the hatred of a gender, but rather the support of all genders.

2- Feminism Is Not a Current Issue

Image Credit: Twitter

While women in America can now vote, drive, and are not legally considered property, things still aren't entirely equal. There are still big issues that women have left to conquer, like violence against women, media representation, and domestic labor inequality. The Center for Disease Control discovered in a study that over half of female homicide victims were killed by an intimate partner; while men are afraid of rejection in relationships, women apparently need to be afraid of violence or even murder in relationships.

3- Feminism Only Includes Cis-Gendered Females

Image Credit: Pinterest

Feminism strives for the equality of ALL gender identities and there are no rules about who 'counts' as a woman, 'nuff said.

4- Feminism is Anti-Feminine/ Feminists Have to Look a Certain Way

Image Credit: Pinterest

People who disavow feminism often have the idea that a feminist has to have masculine qualities. While masculine women can certainly be feminists, ANYONE can be a feminist, and a feminist can look like anyone; feminists don't condemn women for liking traditionally feminine things like wearing makeup or being a stay-at-home mom; feminists also don't condemn women for wanting to look sexy. Feminism also encourages women of ALL sizes to love their bodies, every woman is a 'real woman.' It's about encouraging women to do the things they like without being judged.

5- Men Can't Be Feminists

Image Credit: He For She

Feminism addresses issues in gender inequality. Though many of these problems involve women being unequal, feminism is also about solving problems men face because of their gender. For example, feminism strives to make men feel more comfortable with showing emotions and to end stigma towards men who don't act in a traditionally masculine way.

6- Feminism Is About Men and Women Being the Same

Image Credit: Wearewoman

There's a big difference between having equal opportunities and being the same; feminism celebrates differences but fights negative stereotypes and unequal rights.

7- Feminism Encourages Women to Hit Men

Image Credit: National Domestic Violence Hotline

This myth seems the most absurd out of all of them, but some people seem to think that in lieu of ending men's abuse of women, feminists encourage women to abuse men. This is a crazy misconception- once again, feminism is about equality, not 'rising above' men or reversing the inequality. Furthermore, feminists acknowledge that women can be abusive as well as men.

8- Feminists Hate Compliments

Image Credit: Pinterest

Feminists hate catcalling, not compliments. Telling me to have a nice day is great, but yelling across the street about my ass is not great.