The 8 Best Film Scores For Studying

The 8 Best Film Scores For Studying

Because sometimes the music is better than the movie itself.

4161
The 8 Best Film Scores For Studying
The Hustle.org

Have you ever watched a movie that has made you laugh, weep, shriek and fantasize all at the same time? Sure, the plot and the actors would have contributed to your plethora of emotions, but the film score usually humbly strings together the many acts of the movie. When the violins drone, we weep. When the trumpets blast, we applaud. A slight change of pitch can mean the difference between a euphonic bliss and cacophonic confusion. A roar of low brass can induce unexpected goosebumps and creative piano riffs can make your toes tap automatically. The film score leads us, guides us, and helps us feel the movie.

What most people do not realize, however, is a film score's ability to get us through some tough midterms, senior year slumps, and studying halts. A film score can be the perfect cheer team for your all-nighters, or simply a calming presence as you complete your assignment that's due in ten minutes.

Here are 10 absolutely phenomenal film scores that can change your work habits forever:

1. Inception by Hans Zimmer

Honestly, Hans Zimmer is the God of film scoring. His collaborations with director Christopher Nolan are always such creative marriages. Pieces like "Time" and and "Radical Notion" are known for their electronic basses, that carry you through the movie's dreams within dreams within dreams. This the perfect score to really instill a sense of urgency to finish your work.

2. The Imitation Game by Alexandre Desplat

Something about the repetitive riff on the piano correlates so well with the movie's code-breaking adventures. Definitely listen to "The Imitation Game", "Crosswords", and "Decrypting" while doing some some analytic work - especially when you're trying to work out that really hard math problem.

3. The Theory of Everything by Johann Johannsson

This film score is hallmarked by its dreamy vibes through its lyrical use of violin, piano and xylophone. "Forces of Attraction", "A Brief History of Time" and "A Model of The Universe" are all such moving pieces that can so beautifully underscore your creative writing sessions, meditative thoughts on physics or your much-needed study breaks.

4. How To Train Your Dragon by John Powell

This is perhaps one of the most empowering scores I have ever heard. I personally played a medley of pieces from this score in middle school band, and thus this score brings back kindred memories. The music takes you soaring through the sky, and uplifts your spirits when you are in the dark nadirs of studying.

5. Amélie by Yann Tiersen

Though I have yet to watch this french film, when I hear this film score, I imagine a provincial town lined with cobble stone streets. The adorable use of accordians, waltz rhythms, and the harmonica lace a happy acoustic. I especially reccommend "Comptine d'un autre été, l'aprés-midi" and "La valse d'Amélie", for some deep focus help.

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel by Alexandre Desplat

This film score is so so quirky, and quite accurately reflects Wes Anderson's vibe as a director. Everything from dark fugues to folksy tunes are included in this film score. Use this soundtrack to supplement virtually any subject of study.

7. Wit by Arvo Pärt

This movie is inherently very depressing, but the soundtrack, though ridden with emotional piano melodies, possesses the power to inspire. "Spiegel im Spiegel" is a piece that always makes me tear up when I listen to it. This film score provides the perfect backdrop if you need to just zone out of a loud environment, and focus.

8. Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring) by Howard Shore

This film score brings a sweet sense of nostalgia, for some reason. The tin flute, folksy violin, and the symphony orchestra, in general, create a majestic atmosphere. My favorite pieces include "Concerning Hobbits" ,"Many Meetings" and "The Great River".

I am, by no means a connoisseur of film scores, but I appreciate them so greatly. So next time you're studying, close your eyes, surround yourself in the symphonies that support your favorite movies, and I promise that you'll feel happy.