8 Feminist Cartoon Characters That Taught Me How to Fight the Patriarchy

"Here's to strong women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them." — Unknown

1189
Matt Groening

Growing up during the late 90's and early millennium, cartoons seemed to be the strongest genre to encapsulate girl power. Maybe this was due to the fact that the majority of my youth was shaped by Nickelodeon and Disney Channel. Coming home from school, I would finish my homework early so that I could spend the rest of my night watching my favorite toons, sucking on ring pops, and listening to the same 15 seconds of Complicated by Avril Lavigne on my Hit Clip. These were simpler times. After binge watching three seasons of Hey Arnold recently to avoid responsibility, I realized how bad ass female cartoon characters used to be and continue to be. Here is a list of animated ladies that rocked TV, some old some new. These girls march to the beat of their own drum, speak their mind, and embrace their flaws so that girls like me growing up could learn to do the same.

1. Helga Pataki — Hey Arnold

Favorite Quote: "That's it. Im through being a psychotic freak!"

Helga, known for her bad attitude, unibrow, and secret love for Arnold often times gets a bad rap. She's not like other girls. Helga is arguably one of the most complex characters written for a children's cartoon. She deals with an alcoholic mother, a negligent father and not fitting in. Her alterity is what makes audiences fall in love with her. I was taught growing up that if a boy is mean to you, he likes you. Helga flips this ideal on its head and instead is mean to Arnold while secretly loving him. Helga eventually finds solace in the end, with Arthur and with herself. I realized that she taught me how to cope with life's hardships, boy problems, and being true to myself... no matter what.

2. Cindy Vortex — Jimmy Neutron

Favorite Quote: "After class, I'll gladly demonstrate how boy dinosaurs got their BUTTS KICKED by girl dinosaurs on a regular basis."

Cindy Vortex, a Helga type female protagonist in the Jimmy Neutron series, embodies the ideals of intelligence and overachieving. The series depicts her as a mean girl when in reality she is struggling with the frustration of being compared to Jimmy while not being able to measure up, probably because she is a girl and girls aren't typically supposed to be "smart." She actually admires Jimmy and his intelligence, even if she seems to have a disdain for it. Cindy values herself and her education and combats that by trying to compete with Jimmy. This is admirable since the show is all about a boy genius, but I would argue that Cindy is the first inclination of a "girl genius" depicted in a cartoon.

3. Sandy Cheeks — Spongebob Squarepants

Favorite Quote: "I'm hotter than a hickory-smoked sausage!"

Sandy Cheeks, the Texan space suit wearing, underwater living squirrel, and pretty much the only female character on the show that isn't depicted as having deep emotional issues, challenges patriarchal ideals throughout the entire series. She was actually sent to Bikini Bottom by three chimpanzees to study marine life. She is a scientist, inventor, and has a black belt in karate. Sandy Cheeks is BAD ASS.

4. Reggie Rocket — Rocket Power

Reggie Rocket, the only female character in 'Team Rocket', not only kicks ass in sports and athletics, but also publishes her own magazine, all at 12 years old. Reggie faces discrimination from her brother and the other male members of Team Rocket throughout the series. She hate's being called a girl because the boys make her feel like she can't do what they do just because she is a girl. Her efforts to break stereotypes and live her dreams is more than I can say for the things I was doing when I was 12. Also, anyone who can rock purple hair and camo pants deserves the utmost respect.

5. Penny Proud — The Proud Family

Favorite Quote: "There's no law that says I can't play on your team. However there are plenty of laws that say you can *not* call me babydoll."

Penny Proud was Disney Channel's first show with a woman of color as its lead. Penny deals with family life, friendship, boys and school. She is a straight-A student, enjoys poetry and is a talented singer. Penny even dresses as Angela Davis for a history assignment. Still, the show also sheds light on negative stereotypes that are excellently highlighted and criticized in Shulan Ornstein's "The Proud Family: A Black Feminist Television Show?" Although Disney attempts to create a black and feminist protagonist, some elements are left historically inaccurate and insensitive, which exposes the progress that still needs to be made... and that is the need for more black and powerful women on TV, especially in children's programming.

6. Lisa Simpson — The Simpsons

Favorite Quote: "I learned that beneath my goody two shoes lies some very dark socks."

Probably the most important cartoon feminist and the one character who could resurrect Susan B. Anthony from her grave. Lisa Simpson is extremely intelligent, independent and talented. She is ostracized for her behavior at school, since she is more mature than most people her age. Regardless, Lisa is the moral center of her family and the voice of reason. She even takes multiple liberal political stances throughout the series and her environmental efforts have been well received, earning the series multiple awards from environmental groups. Lisa Simpson taught me to have passion for the things I care about and to put my talents into action.

7. Daria & Jane — Daria

Favorite Quote(s): Jane: “We could meet on the weekends to eat pizza & complain.”
Daria: "I'm not being negative, I'm being edgy."

Actual friendship goals. Daria and Jane and their deadpan conversations were always honest and often times painfully blunt. They spoke their mind and became even more powerful together. They didn't take shit from anyone! Daria taught me that I needed to find someone who equally takes no shits and makes cynical jokes. They flourished in each other's otherness and that is what women should do. Accept and raise each other up, friend or not.

8. Tina Belcher — Bob's Burgers

Favorite Quote? Literally everything that comes out of Tina's mouth.

The voice of all millennials. Tina is voiced by a dude, but that doesn't make her any less feminist. As a more recent reference, Tina embodies the female attitude of being anything but normal. She is a hopeless romantic with a powerful sex drive and minimal social skills. I don't know about you, but that pretty much sums up my personality as well. She also writes erotic fiction, which is hilarious. Tina expresses female sexuality which shouldn't be as taboo as media makes it out to be. I love her for that.

There are many more ladies who deserve a spot on this list. These are just a few that resonated with me from my youth to present day. Who is your favorite feminist cartoon character?