'90s Fashion Trends That Have Made A Comeback

I welcome some of these revival looks back with open arms. Others...not so much.
120

They're back.

Whether we like it or not, fashion trends from the '90s are soaring back into the fashion world of today. Ranging from the teenage grunge look, to the "mom", to the floral princess, this experimental, colorful phase has made its impact around the world, visiting the wardrobes of movie actresses, singers, models and many more. As 2016 nears its end, it's time for some of these trends to be left behind, and some to be taken with us and introduced to the new year.

1. The Choker

No, it's not a dog collar, it's a choker. Mostly a part of the grunge look, but also able to convey sophistication, casual style, or a night out look, the choker is a tight necklace that has been seen on celebrities around the world. Coming back in style in mid-2016, the choker is one of my favorite looks, since it can go with so many things and looks good on basically anyone. You've got the caged choker, the denim choker, the cotton choker, and any other kind you can dream up. A choker can be made out of pretty much anything. You can never go wrong with it either, so this is definitely one that should tag along with us into 2017.

2. The "Mom" Jeans

The thing I remember from when I was younger is that all the moms had one huge similarity—their jeans. Mom jeans, sort of like loose-fitting, hipster high-waist jeans, have evolved over the years. Usually sported cuffed at the bottom with purposeful rips on the legs, these jeans are one to go. Sure, they looked good back then when they were actually in style, but now we're bringing them back and it's just too weird. They had their time as a fashion fad, but when we bring on the new year, they need to stay behind.

3. The Denim Skirt

Now this is a style you can work with. Both cute and flirty, the denim skirt works with many styles and comes in a variety of different cuts. Seen on many celebrities then and now, this bulky statement is here to stay. Brought back in the early months of 2016, I've seen the denim skirt worn in all seasons, on a wide variety of people. So, to whoever decided to bring this one back: thank you.

4. Floral Dresses

Though the floral pattern has always been some part of fashion, for a while the print was hidden from the style of most dresses. Now, you can find a peachy floral print on basically any dress in sight. I mean, did you really go to Forever 21 if you didn't see a floral dress? This one is iffy, since not many people, in my opinion, can work it well, and since it kind of looks like the couch my mom has had in the living room since before I was even born. Depending on the type of look you want, the floral dress can be made hipster, grunge, cute or fancy (within reason). The thing about floral print is that there can't be too much of it in one place. Newer floral prints are much more vibrant than the ones in the '90s, but I can't quite decide whether or not it should stay. Sure it's cute, but at the same time...its not. But whether it stays behind in 2016 or it follows us into the new year, the floral dress is a fashion statement that will never be forgotten.

5. The Platform Sneakers

No, no, and no. These should've been left in the year they were debuted. The Spice era is long gone, so please, for the love of God, put the platform sneakers in the back of your closet to get dusty for another 15 years until they somehow return again. For now, get some regular sneakers.

6. Jelly Sandals

Honestly, can someone even explain to me how these are even remotely comfortable? These colorful sandals, a major '90s trend, have now made their way back into the fashion world and are actually...selling. Who decided to bring these things back anyway? If you're trying to go for Cinderella's glass slipper look, I suggest you find an option besides clear jelly sandals. Mostly common on children these days, they just aren't working. Find your kid some comfortable shoes that are much better looking than these. Jelly Sandals, you will not be missed.

7. The Flannel Shirt

This look was one that should've stayed. Working perfectly for a grunge look both then and now, this ever so comfy shirt is one that needs to be taken with us into the years to come. Tie it around your waist, wear it as a cardigan, button it up, anything. It's always in style. There's really no need for an explanation; I mean, it's the flannel shirt.

8. The Fanny Pack

Last but certainly not least, my favorite. The fanny pack is awesome. Use it to go to the gym, use it as a substitute for a purse on vacation, use it when going to a concert, just use it! A trend that soared in the '90s has finally found its way back and it better be here to stay. Seen worn by many different celebrities over the past few months, this look is not only reasonably cheap, but also very handy. So get out there and buy yourself a fanny pack! Let's not let this one die on us again.