8 Common Misconceptions About Schizophrenia

Understanding is the key to making the world a better place for those with mental illness.

676
pxhere

When we don't understand something, it's easy to be afraid of it. Understanding mental illness, especially those classified as 'cluster A personality disorders' (paranoid, schizoid, schizotypal) has come a long way in the last few hundred years, but unfortunately, it still carries a stigma and the general public does lack understanding.

Back in the day, people with schizophrenia were often deemed possessed, or witches. Many times, they'd just be killed. Other times, they'd be experimented on, have their skulls drilled into (to 'release the demons'), or locked up for the rest of their lives.

Today, in some parts of the world, people with schizophrenia are still thrown in a hospital and locked away for the rest of their lives.

Today, in other parts and cultures, they are revered as demigods, or 'chosen ones,' and treated as royalty.

Today, here in the United States, they are generally tip-toed around, hospitalized, pitied, seen as outcasts, and often, homeless.

If that tells you anything, it should be that most of the world is still quite a long way from truly understanding what it's like to live with schizophrenia. If we did understand it, there wouldn't be such widespread difference in the way that people with schizophrenia are treated and regarded.

Understanding and education, though, is the first step on a long road that I think we all need to start down. And that begins with eliminating misconceptions and stereotypes, so let's address some of those right now.

1. Schizophrenia is just 'hearing voices.'

In fact, there's a lot more to the illness than hearing voices. There's the hallucinations, yes, but not just of the auditory nature. A person with schizophrenia can experience hallucinations with all five of their senses - visual, auditory, tactile (touch), gustatory (taste), and olfactory (smell). Along with hallucinations, a person also experiences delusions (false beliefs), paranoia, depression, confusion, poor memory, and sensorimotor problems. They may also seem emotionless (called the 'flat affect'), withdraw from social interaction, and lose interest in bathing or taking care of themselves.

2. People with schizophrenia are violent.

Not usually, no. Violent behavior is rare, and most people are never violent. Typically, violence stems from powerful delusions of persecution, which not all people with schizophrenia experience. A person is more likely to be violent if they suffer from other disorders, such as substance abuse, or if they endured childhood trauma, but that holds true even in people with no mental illness at all. The bottom line is, the majority of people with schizophrenia never exhibit violent behavior.

3. A person with the illness is called 'a schizophrenic.'

Rather, they are just 'a person with schizophrenia.'

4. People are born with schizophrenia.

Since the genetic link to schizophrenia is very well established, it's not necessarily wrong to say that people are 'born' with it. In some cases, it is present in a person's genetic code from birth. However, symptoms do not start from birth. Generally, symptoms of schizophrenia begin in the late teens and early twenties for males, and around the mid-twenties for females. This means that people with schizophrenia may already have well-established lives, from career paths to relationships to families, before their symptoms ever even begin.

5. Being restrained calms people during episodes of psychosis.

It doesn't.

6. Sufferers hallucinate and have other symptoms 100% of the time.

In fact, the symptoms of schizophrenia typically come and go, or become mild and then get worse, just like most other illnesses - mental or otherwise.

7. People with schizophrenia cannot hold a job or be successful.

I encourage everybody to watch this TedTalk by Elyn Saks - it's called "A Tale of Mental Illness from the Inside." Saks is an Associate Dean and Orrin B. Evans Professor of Law, Psychology, and Psychiatry and the Behavioral Sciences at the University of Southern California Gould Law School. She's an expert on mental health law. She has lived with schizophrenia since she was in law school at Yale University. Saks has also detailed her experience in an autobiography called "The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness" which is available on Amazon for $5 or even less. Saks is an inspiring reminder that people with schizophrenia can lead unbelievably successful, meaningful, and complete lives, just like the rest of us - perhaps even more-so.

8. There's nothing that can be done.

While there is no cure for schizophrenia, there is amazing treatment out there that can enable a person with schizophrenia to get relief from their symptoms and live a normal life once again. Intensive therapy is very helpful, as are a variety of anti-psychotic medications. Having a strong support system is also very important for people with schizophrenia. As Elyn Saks said, relationships can 'give life meaning and depth' and 'help navigate' the world when it is dark, scary, and confusing.

The best things that we can do for those who struggle with this illness is to listen, understand, be a friend, encourage healthy behaviors, and support treatment. Most importantly of all, always remember that people with schizophrenia are just that - people. Eventually, if we all keep these things in mind, the world may be a better place for all those struggling with mental illness.