8 Clear Signs You Need a Career Change

8 Clear Signs You Need a Career Change

I took a leap of faith and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made

58
8 Clear Signs You Need a Career Change

Finding your dream job can take a long time, sometimes years.

It can be a tough journey, filled with risks, especially when it means leaving a safe job with steady pay. But, to get out of a rut, risks are often necessary.

In my case, I realized I needed a career change when I was just starting out. I didn't want to leave my first job because I was afraid to lose a steady source of income just to risk applying for a new position.

But I took a leap of faith and it turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

Changing your career path when you feel stuck always feels like a huge weight is lifted off your shoulders. But how do you know it's time to step away and look for something different?

These 8 signs might help you make the decision.

1. There's No More Excitement

When work always feels like… work, it's a good sign that something's wrong in your current setup. The excitement may have evaporated and you're approaching every new task with an internal groan.

While this is normally known as job burnout, if it lasts for too long or happens too often, then what you may need is a change of scenery to reignite that spark.

2. Lack Of Motivation

A loss of passion for your work typically goes hand in hand with a loss of motivation to do your job well. Your performance might be slipping and you're doing a lot less work and cutting it closer to deadlines than you ever have before.

If this is the case, you might want to talk to your manager first and let them know how you feel. I say this knowing that not all managers are equally skilled at motivating their employees, and some don't even want to.

My dad's nickname at his old company was Coach because he motivated his employees like they were a football team but my first manager only cared about the team making its sales targets.

If talking the issue out doesn't work, then you might want to start updating your resume.

3. You Feel Frustrated And Angry

Perhaps you were very passionate when you started this job but with time, became frustrated or even angry.

This happens frequently, especially to young people who go into their first jobs with high expectations, only to be disappointed by the reality of their workplace.

If you find that you've been feeling increasingly negative lately, it might be time to give your 2-weeks notice.

4. There's No Challenge

Sometimes it's not about work being too hard, but about the work being too easy.

If that's the case, then it's worth trying to look into a new career path or asking for a promotion to a spot where you believe you'd be able to better serve the company.

5. Not Getting Fairly Compensated For Your Work

There's always the monetary problem too. Maybe you feel as though your talents aren't adequately rewarded and that the work you put in doesn't match the money you get out.

Should that be the case, you might want to ask for a raise or look for a place that'll appreciate your skills better.

6. Work Relationships Feel Strained

Are you and your higher-ups getting into more and more arguments? Are you starting to feel alienated from your coworkers because you can't find any common ground?

Workplace relationships do matter, and if your coworkers are a source of considerable stress, then it's time to reevaluate your career path.

7. Your Work-Life Balance Is Out Of Whack

When people get too tired of their job, they usually start carrying their work home – consciously or subconsciously.

This affects your work-life balance and can impact others around you, especially if you have kids, which brings me to my next point...

8. Your Work Is Making You Neglect Your Family

If you're swamped with work, you're likely to return home exhausted and just head straight to bed instead of enjoying watching your baby smile while the two of you play together.

Having money to support the family may be important, but not at the cost of the family itself and your overall happiness and wellbeing.

While the prospect of a career change sounds scary, don't be afraid to take a leap of faith and jump into the unknown. Remember that some of the most successful people in the world have gotten where they are thanks to their risk-taking, and you can do it too.

Author's bio:

After working in corporate finance for 8 years, Christine Carter discovered her love of writing and now uses it to blog about parenting tips and money hacks. You can find all her advice on the Find Your Mom Tribe blog.