28 Things To Do When You're Under House Arrest Because Of A Hurricane

Trust me, you're gonna be bored.

8524

So you've reached the point where you've started looking up "Things to Do..." huh?

Well, as someone who has been at that point somewhat frequently in her short life and who was just recently trapped in the house due to Hurricane Florence, I've compiled a list of 28 fun or creative or just plain useful things to do when you are trapped by a hurricane or just having a REALLY boring day.

First and foremost though, if you are in hurricane conditions, please stay safe with whatever you do!

1. Bake something ridiculous

My personal favorite is to do a sort of "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" type deal, where you throw every sweet thing in your kitchen (be it a cookie, candy, coconut flakes, etc.) into your standard cookie recipe. If you're limited on ingredients and can't get outside to get more, try these super easy five-ingredient brownies that have never steered me wrong.

2. Play Cards Against Humanity for a really long time, just because you can

My personal favorite card is "Susan, that b**ch" or "Geese." Honestly, they both work for anything.

Learn more here.

3. Harry Potter movie marathon! Complete with Harry Potter themed snacks that you most definitely have time to make

It will take you approximately 21 hours and 52 minutes. And that's not counting the time it will take to garnish your marathon with these awesome HP snacks. But it's totally worth it.

4. Sleep

Let's be honest, who really gets the full 8 hours they're supposed to? Well now you've got the time to make up for it!

5. Organize your closet

Put on some good tunes to make it go faster and get to sorting! You can even make money off the clothes you no longer want by going to Plato's Closet, Clothes Mentor or your local thrift store. (Please refrain from doing that part until AFTER the hurricane passes)

6. Do your homework

I know it sounds lame, but you've got nothing else to do! Plus your future self will thank you for taking away some unnecessary stress.

7. Write an email/letter/text to that person you’ve been meaning catch up with

You know who it is. Just sit down and do it, you'll feel better and so will they.

8. Do some yoga!

Watch free YouTube videos (Yoga With Adriene is my personal favorite) or if the WiFi is out, stretch and just find what feels good!

9. Try your hand at origami

I mean, I'm no good at it (my paper cranes usually end up looking like paper severely-hurt-and-should-be-in-an-animal-hospital cranes), but I'm sure you are!

Here's a step-by-step video on how to make a proper paper crane, or you can choose 9 other things from this list that suit your fancy.

10. Baths are fun. And I’m sure you never have any time to do them otherwise

Take out that bubble bath you got as a gift years ago and put it to work!

11. Put people you know in this awesome Hunger Games simulator and see what happens

Or use celebrities. Or favorite movie/tv show/book characters. Honestly, the opportunities are endless. Play the online (free!) game here.

12. Play with your pet! If you don’t have one, opt for a cozy stuffed animal to cuddle with instead

They're probably more scared of the loud hurricane than you are.

13. Binge watch Parks and Rec or The Office 

If anyone could make me smile during dreary and sometimes dangerous weather, it'd be Leslie Knope.

14. Read a book!

And I mean for fun, not assigned reading. Try a news article or short story if you don't want to start a full book. Or even fanfiction, if you have WiFi.

15. Make your favorite warm drink and cuddle under blankets

Coffee, hot chocolate, tea — you name it. Add that good book for some extra entertainment and you're set!

16. Try Tan France’s face mask — I mean, his skin is gorgeous, why can’t yours be?

Steep one green tea bag for 30 seconds, then empty its contents into one cup of yogurt and mix it up, then apply to face for 10 minutes before washing it off. You're welcome.

He discusses it in this video.

17. Listen to some good music and dance if you want to!

Why not just go ahead and make a whole playlist titled "Evacuation Station" with all your favorite songs for this exact situation.

18. Do your nails!

Because I totally didn't and I needed to. Don't make my mistake. You can even do it while watching Parks and Rec!

19. Ever wanted to learn a new language? Well now is the time to get started!

You never know when understanding a few words in Portuguese might come in handy.

20. Clean you room

And I don't mean just pick up some clothes, really clean and organize and throw away that stuff you've been saving but know you'll never use so seriously just throw it away.

21. Actually write down your bucket list and come up with some awesome ideas!

Now you have a list you can physically check off, which is honestly way more satisfying than doing it in your head.

22. Knit

Hey, don't knock it till you try it! I even made a blanket one time) Also it's another thing you can do while watching Parks and Rec.

23. Go through your photos on your phone and delete the ones that are just taking up space

We all have them, those old assignments we took a picture of or the cringy selfies we've been meaning to delete. Delete them and make room for the fun memories!

24. Write!

Write anything! Be it a story, a poem, an article, a movie review, a recipe you just made up, a letter to your future self, I mean the options are endless!

25. Watch vine compilations

Again, this is one for if you have WiFi, but there are seriously hour-long compilations out there (like this one!) so you will not be bored. Then you and your friends can have entire conversations with each other all in vine quotes so other people can look at you like you've grown a second head.

26. Give yourself a makeover

You can finally try out all that makeup that's just been sitting there in your cabinet, waiting to be used.

27. Puzzle!

C'mon, they're fun and you know it!

28. Take Buzzfeed quiz

We've all gotten lost in this wormhole once or twice, and now you've got the time to go as far as you want.

Here are the links to help you get started: Buzzfeed, Playbuzz, Brainfall

So here you go! There's probably infinitely more things to do but, as we all know when we're bored and need something to do, they are hard to think of. I hope you enjoyed and please make sure to stay safe out there!