8 Books You Should Read To Learn More About Racism In America

A few books that you should read if you want to learn more about racism.

57

With the Black Lives Matter Movement still ongoing with protests and supporters, many people are wondering what else they could do to continue fighting for equal rights. There's one way that you can also help be a supporter, and it may come as a surprise: you can read more books and learn more about racism in America.

You may be wondering how reading helps make a difference. Well, reading can provide you with more information about not only what you're fighting against, but it can also help you understand more about how to create conversations on racism and give you ideas for how to make a difference in society now.

In fact, there are many protesters who haven't read books about racism while they're not marching in support. But what books should you read that will help you to understand more information about racism? Here are eight books you should read if you want to learn more about racism!

1. "White Fragility"

Dr. Robin DiAngelo PhD / Instagram

This book was written by Robin DiAngelo and is one of the top bestsellers on the New York Times list. It focuses on why White Americans have a hard time talking about racism or initiating a conversation about racism. The book offers a look on racism that is different and very relevant, especially in the ongoing movement of Black Lives Matter.

2. "So You Want To Talk About Race"

Ijeoma Oluo / Instagram

This is another book that's on the bestseller list. The author, Ijeoma Oluo, talks about how to discuss racism.The book offers suggestions on how to have an honest conversation about race in a way that makes it less difficult to discuss. It's a good book, whether you're trying to become a teacher or if you're wanting to discuss racism to others without feeling misinformed.

3. "Stamped From The Beginning"

Ibram X. Kendi / Instagram

This book was written by Ibram X. Kendi and is another great reading material for the world that we are currently living in. This book offers a perspective on racism in America using the life stories of five American intellectuals such as Thomas Jefferson and absolutist William Lloyd Garrison. The book is on the New York Times bestseller list and is a great read for anyone who is interested in learning more about racism in America.

4. "How To Be An Antiracist"

Ibram X. Kendi / Instagram

This is another book that was written by Ibram X. Kendi. It offers an interesting perspective, and the central question that the book asks is what America would be like if it was anti-racist. The book also asks how we, as Americans, can help build this type of world. It's a great book to read, especially if you're looking for reading material that will give you more information on how to help eliminate racism in society.

5. "The New Jim Crow"

The New Press / Instagram

Another book you should check out is this one, which is written by Michelle Alexander. It focuses solely on the injustice and inequality found within America's justice system. The book talks about the instances with African Americans who have been found guilty of crimes that they didn't commit and thrown in prison for life. It's a really important book to read if you're looking for instances where there has been inequality in America. Plus, learning about the injustice in the justice system is a good place to start when learning about racism in America since it's a huge problem.

6. "The Color Of Law"

Liveright Publishing / Instagram

If you're looking for a book that discusses segregation and how the government has played a role with reinforcing racism, you should check out this book. It's written by Richard Rothstein, and it's very well researched with information about how the government has reinforced segregation within neighborhoods. The book is definitely something you should check out reading if you haven't already!

7. "Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together In The Cafeteria"

Basic Books / Instagram

This book which is written by a psychologist, Beverly Daniel Tatum, is a psychological look on racism, and it provides a talk about racism in a straightforward manner. The book also looks at self-segregation and inequalities found within schools. I don't know about you, but since I'm planning on becoming a teacher, this is honestly a great book to look at for me if I want to understand how to spot any instances where they may be inequality within the classroom. The book also gives you information for how to help make a difference for stopping racism with talking to students or youth.

8. "Between The World And Me"

Ta-Nehisi Coates / Instagram

And finally, if you're wanting to read a book that answers questions such as how can you find a way to move forward with change when there has been a long history of racism and inequality in America that is still very much prevalent, then you need to read this book. It's written by Ta-Nehisi Coates and she answers these questions through a letter to their adolescent son. It offers a deep understanding of how racism is prevalent in this country and offers insight on how we can move forward and find a way to promote equality in America. It offers a rich narrative and is definitely worth reading!

So if you haven't already, you should check out any one of these books when you have the time! Books are a great way to learn more about the world around you, and they can offer different perspectives that you may not normally encounter. Plus, they can offer ideas for how you can make a difference now!