7 Commonly Overlooked Questions About Eating Disorders

The most important questions that everyone should know the answers too.

109
https://www.pexels.com/photo/red-eat-neon-sign-turned-on-1113520/

I know I haven't talked about eating disorders in a while. There is no particular reason for it, I have been doing particularly well with mine. However, I have my days. I've been thinking about it though, and about how there are people out there struggling with some sort of eating issues, whether diagnosed or not. Since it's been almost two years since mine began, I figured I would take a step back and answer some questions that may be unanswered for you. Please keep in mind that everyone's experience is different, but I assume most will relate. Also, these are from personal experience. I've gone through it and closely witnessed people around me go through it as well, which makes these answers different than if you were to look up the questions on the internet and read what someone has to say because they study it.

1.  How long does an eating disorder last?

It varies. It can be a couple of weeks to a couple of years. It depends on if that person has people looking out for them, and is almost forced to get help, or if that person keeps quiet about it until it becomes severe. However, a person can relapse after recovering for so many weeks/months. This happened to me. I went to an inpatient hospital for twelve days and was supposed to continue outpatient recovery, but I eventually relapsed a little over a month later. You won't ever know how long you will struggle with an eating disorder. It takes a lot of time and patience along with surrounding yourself with the right people. I still struggle with it sometimes, it never really goes away. But you will gain the strength to overcome it by yourself. I hate to break it to you, but it never goes away, it just eventually gets easier to deal with.

2. What does the mind of an eating disorder think about?

Food and body. The obsession with food and body is so dangerous. A person will think about food fifty percent of the day while the other fifty percent is either looking at themselves, measuring, or exercising. It is exhausting, but it alters your whole thought process. Everything now revolves around what you can and cannot eat, how much you should and should not eat, and the constant need to move around and exercise. If I felt the gym wasn't enough, which it usually wasn't, I would work out at home, walk around outside, stand, or just find places where I could be moving around.

Also, losing weight and being thin is a main priority. Many people with eating disorders think if they get to a certain weight or size they will be satisfied, but it never happens. There is always a desire for more. Thin is never enough. The number, no matter how low, will never be enough. There is no finish line or stopping point. For binge eaters, it's pretty much the same thing except they have more of an obsession about food which is followed by guilt about their body. Binge eaters usually have no control over the amount of food they consume and constantly think of what and when to eat next.

3. How does someone develop an eating disorder? 

Honestly, it develops over time. Unconsciously. It can be a build up of different internal and/or external issues. It usually stems from personal body image issues, but also something that you may not think is bothering you like family/friend conflicts, physical/emotional/sexual abuse, or a feeling of not being in control of their life. A person with an eating disorder controls a part of themselves that makes them feel good.

4. Does everyone go through the same experience ?

No, everyone's experience is going to be different. It may be similar in some or most ways, however, eating disorders are so dangerous because it's not the same for everyone. I talked to a lot of people who were diagnosed the same as me. We felt similar emotions and our thought process was the same, however, there were some differences.

5. What's with the obsession over calories?

It's actually scary how obsessed people with eating disorders are with calories. The obsession usually begins with dieting and counting calories on an app. Eventually, it gets easier to guess the approximate amount of what something has in it because of constantly checking, or studying it. We never really forget how many calories certain things have. There is always a mental note, and eating disorders make you over approximate calories just so you won't eat it.

6. Why can't a person with an eating disorder just talk themselves out of it?

Believe it or not, an eating disorder has a mind of its own. It may seem so simple on the outside to just "get rid of it" and go back to thinking about food like everyone else. That's not the case. An eating disorder literally distorts your mind, brainwashes, and manipulates your thoughts in a way that makes you completely focused on either not eating, or eating way too much; extremely over exercising and overall, continuously thinking about food. It controls everything you do, isolates you away from people so you can't have any outside influence, and eats your body alive (literally).

7. Does everyone with an eating disorder need inpatient treatment?

No. I think it depends on how deep into the eating disorder a person is. It can be treated with outpatient therapy, and having a nutritionist helps too. A lot of people don't understand that an eating disorder is a MENTAL illness. It is more of a challenge to change the mindset of a person struggling with an eating disorder rather than that person gaining weight. When a person realizes that they need to eat in order to survive, and find a clearer perception of how and why food helps their body, then it will be easier for them to gain weight.

There are definitely more questions out there that people have about specific eating disorders. I just gave a broad overlook of some important ones. Please, if you are struggling or think you are or know of someone who might be, do not be afraid to reach out. Reach out to family, friends, a therapist, or a doctor. I also am always happy to talk to anyone who is willing to reach out. You may be able to beat an eating disorder by yourself, but it is highly unlikely, and more comforting to have a support team around you, helping you through every step.