72 Things College Has Taught Me

72 Things College Has Taught Me

The best part is, you can come up with about 72 more...

1559
72 Things College Has Taught Me
news.uga.edu

I love Twitter. It's like a giant collaboration of weird memes — hooded frogs telling you to do bad things and about a thousand different ways of saying "bon appetite." The other day, I was scrolling through and came across a tweet from one of my friends saying, "Just wanna feel as empowered as a sorority girl who just wrote an Odyssey article about '72 things college has taught me.'"

Personally, I really needed an idea for what to write on this week, and I'm feeling pretty empowered today, so Brooks, this one's for you. Here are 72 things college has taught me — I hope you feel empowered.

1. You're going to gain weight.

2. Your professors matter more than your class! Take an 8 a.m. with an awesome professor over a 2 p.m. with a professor who speaks Spanish (trust me on this one).

3. All-nighters will happen, but don't make them happen too often.

4. The "walk" signs talk, and they will yell at you (the University of Georgia is a prime example).

5. Invest in a portable charger.

6. Sneakers are your friends.

7. You can never have too many t-shirts.

8. You can find a place to sleep just about anywhere.

9. Always keep Advil in your backpack — sometimes you're really gonna need it.

10. Enjoy mom's cooking when you go home! And bring some back.

11. Teamwork makes the dream work!

12. Make a friend in each class! So important!

13. Take lots of pictures.

14. But not too many...

15. Always bring a sweater to class, but wear layers.

16. Just because you made all A's in high school doesn't mean that's how it will be in college. Be okay with a B.

17. C's get degrees.

18. So do D's (kind of).

19. But not F's. Don't fail a class.

20. It's better to withdraw from a class than not do well in your other classes because you were trying to get the hours in.

21. @ Frat boys, stop stealing sorority banners! (This is also a public service announcement for whoever stole our last banner — we would like that back please and thank you.)

22. Get involved in as many on-campus clubs as possible.

23. Find the school of music on campus, and hang out there for a little bit on a day when you don't have a lot going on or when you're feeling stressed out.

24. Take a class outside of your major.

25. It pays off to have a minor.

26. Alone time is good time.

27. Even if you think your immune system is strong, it's not.

28. Even extroverts can be introverts sometimes.

29. You can't assume anyone is any which way because you really don't know the people you're around.

30. The health center becomes home.

31. You take nine hour naps every day, and that's outside of normal sleeping time.

32. Always try to go to the football game!

33. You barely take showers, and find any way to not shower before your 8 a.m.

34. Try the Greek system — it's so, so rewarding! And if it's not for you, at least you tried it out.

35. Do something that scares you (like joining a skydiving club, 10/10 would highly recommend).

36. Climb a water tower!

37. Always bring a water bottle with you wherever you go.

38. Bring Ziploc bags to the dining halls so you can steal food (got to get your money's worth, am I right?)

39. Take friends on date nights for your sorority/fraternity.

40. Worry about building friendships more than finding the next cutest person to be with.

41. Hats are the equivalent to showers.

42. ...so is dry shampoo.

43. You're probably not going to meet your future spouse, so don't stress out about it.

44. You will finally know what it feels like to have 54 cents in your bank account.

45. You will cry on the day you realize you actually have five cents in your bank account.

46. College will teach you how to make real, meaningful relationships.

47. Twitter will become extremely irrelevant.

48. Facebook will become your new favorite social media outlet, and you'll look forward to Debbie's weekly cooking tips.

49. Sharing is caring.

50. Sharing your Quizlet is the best way to be caring.

51. Sometimes you'll wear jeans to class, and sometimes people will question whether or not you're wearing pants. Both options are okay.

52. College is all fun and games until you get arrested, so don't do anything stupid that you might regret.

53. Even if you think no one else can tell that you're participating in the walk of shame, we can all see it. No one wears heels to their 8 a.m.

54. You will eat cereal for every meal!

55. You will learn how to function on 10 minutes of sleep.

56. Call your mom at night!

57. Check in with your siblings, and invite your dad up to hang out with you. Don't forget about the people back home.

58. Your closet will become a community closet, and sometimes people will wear your clothes more than you wear your clothes.

59. You can get away with never having your student I.D. card on you.

60. Invite people to come to church with you on Sundays. Some of my best memories have been after church at Panera with a group of friends.

61. Your small group is so important! Invest in them.

62. Mopeds are for cool people. Hitching a ride on a moped to class is even better.

63. If you don't sleep, you'll get sick, and you will not enjoy your time as much as if you sacrificed your night to get a few extra hours of sleep.

64. Manage your time! Don't procrastinate and not label yourself a procrastinator.

65. Go to the gym. It'll make you feel better about all the cereal you'll eat.

66. When you go, please don't complain about how much weight eating all the cereal has caused you to gain.

67. You can wear the same outfit two days in a row because you don't see the same people on Tuesday and Thursday as you do Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

68. And if you feel like you didn't see anyone, you can even try for a third day.

69. You'll sleep in the clothes you plan to wear the next day.

70. Uber is great, but always Uber with a buddy!

71. Flats are high school, so wear heels. Heels are so much fun!

72. You have the complete and total freedom to do whatever you want with your life and be whoever you want to be. Change your major, and then change it five more times. Decide that you want to be more caring, more outgoing, more in-shape, more accepting and just be it. You have exactly one life to live, and it's absolutely your job to live it to the fullest of your ability.