7 Ways to Handle VCU Like a Boss

7 Ways to Handle VCU Like a Boss

College can be a big adjustment, but have no fear: here are some pointers to help you succeed in your first year of college!

60
7 Ways to Handle VCU Like a Boss
Unsplash

Ah, college, the thing we all look forward to during our dreadful high school years. Compared to college, high school courses were a breeze. However, the world is cruel and only gets harder, so here are some crucial (and pretty obvious) tips and tricks to surviving your college career.

1. Get involved!

is a fantastic university that offers hundreds and hundreds of various opportunities to get involved, meet new people, and perhaps even find your “RAM family.” As a school that emphasizes the importance of diversity and inclusion, VCU really works to create a safe and enjoyable environment filled with respectful and understanding individuals; this really allows people to branch out and find the perfect fit for them! Getting involved is never mandatory, but always a great first step to getting more acclimated to your new home of four years!

2. Make use of your school’s resources.

Studying and school should be at the top of your priorities, but you should also focus on your well-being and health. College is a big step; you’re not only going to a new school, but, for most people, you’re going to be living in a whole new environment! Trying to study for all your classes, meet new people, find work, and adjust to living on your own can be very stressful and it is not something that you should be trying to do by yourself! This is the perfect time to make use of those handy resources provided for you by your university or college! Like many campuses, VCU offers resources for all of your needs such as, University Counseling Services, The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs, The Wellness Resource Center . These resources provide services for education and inclusive programming on topics such as sexuality, relationship skills, violence prevention, LGBTQIA, cultural diversity, and more.

3. Find your balance.

There is never a “set” way to handle college, it is something that is personal and unique. Some students may work better alone, some may work better in groups. Some students may need to record the class lecture and take meticulous notes, some students prefer to just sit back and listen. Some students may be great at remembering deadlines and test dates, some may need to set several reminders. Every person is unique and needs their own personalized balance. This is a process that should be edited and reviewed based on your own schedule. Achieving a balance when coming to college is essential and is achieved by going to each class, club meeting, or other outing and finding the methods that work best for yourself. For example, using websites that offer insights on class setups, teaching styles, and curriculums like “ratemyprofessor,” can help you get a better idea of what the class will be like. However, it is also your responsibility to attend that class and find out what suggestions worked and did not work for yourself. This part takes a little time and effort, but it is so worth it in the end!

4. Make nice with your advisor!

Much like in high school, your counselor or advisor can offer a lot of assistance and guidance during your academic career. At VCU, it is required that students meet with their academic advisors at least once each semester. This requirement is not only the perfect opportunity to meet with your advisor, but it is also a great way to help keep things in check! Advisors can offer a lot of things whether it’s emotional support, class suggestions, scheduling assistance, major/minor deciding, resume outlining, or other academic advising. Building a relationship with your advisor can really help ease the stress and tensions of your first year and is also a great way to help yourself get ahead!

5. Start making a planner.

Whether you find yourself to be an organized person or not, having a planner is always a great idea. Planners allow students to stay organized, remain updated on due dates and deadlines, and can even encourage more organized tendencies. Sketching out a weekly outline of due dates and upcoming events is very beneficial. It even allows students to improve their time management skills and avoid procrastinating tendencies. Procrastination will become your biggest enemy in college due to all of the liberties and free time you are allotted. Using a planner will keep you in check and will also keep your head in the game.

6. Do NOT skip class.

The world is a cruel and merciless place, especially when it comes to college. It doesn’t matter how tired you are, how late you stayed up, or even how sick you are; once you miss a class (or God forbid miss a test), you missed it. For the most part, there is no makeup tests, or deadline extensions. This is no longer high school and teachers are definitely not as lenient or forgiving. Once you miss it, it is gone and it becomes your responsibility to catch up! But you should also realize that once it happens, it isn’t the end of the world. You can always get help by communicating with your professors, checking Blackboard and other online resources, or contacting fellow students. In conclusion, missing class is never great and will lead to a constant backup of work and an increase in stress. So, make sure you communicate with your professors and take responsibility in catching up!

7. Have fun!

Despite the change and workload, don’t forget to have fun! It’s important to remember that this is college and it is a time to step out of your comfort zone and to really discover your true self! So, when trying to achieve that balance, make time for yourself, whether it be by relaxing alone or going out with friends! The trick to a great balance is managing your time and leaving time for yourself.

College can be quite the struggle. However, with the help of these tips and tricks, you should be provided with sufficient assistance when it comes to making your first year at college one for the books!