7 Uniquely American Things To Celebrate This Independence Day

This Fourth of July, celebrate our country with pride!

17

America may not be the oldest country, and it arguably may not be the most influential, but with Independence Day coming and going there is still much for us to celebrate! After all, Independence Day is more than fireworks and barbecues (or, if you're a theatre fan, rapping about the founding fathers); it's about expressing our pride in our country. To help you celebrate the greatness of your country, I've put together a list of 7 spectacular, super important contributions that America has made to the world so that you can truly appreciate the home of the free while enjoying the summer weather with your families.

1. Beyonce

What would the music industry be without Queen Bey? Not only is she insanely gorgeous and incredibly talented, but Beyonce has been breaking barriers for women for years, all while helping to lead the crusade for equality in the home and in the workplace. This woman shut down the Superbowl, released a surprise album and roasted her cheating husband publicly on another in less than five years' time. She's independent, successful, and most importantly, takes no shit from anyone. Whether you are a fan of her work or not, you have to admit that her presence has influenced a lot of people for the better. Thanks for blessing us with the epitome of black girl magic, America!

2. Ranch Dressing

That's right, folks! Without America, there would be no ranch dressing. What else would we dip our veggies or pizza in? How would we survive spicy chicken wings? Could you imagine never being able to drown your salad in ranch until it's no longer healthy? The horror. Next, we would have dry sandwich wraps and boring party platters. It would be an abomination! Good thing we had America to save us from having to live a ranch dressing-less life.

3. Dental Floss

It seems like the simplest of things. So simple, in fact, that thousands of people forget about its existence daily. Without dental floss, what would people lie to their dentists about? They would have to pretend to brush their teeth instead, and nobody wants that. Not to mention there would be a huge increase in gingivitis among those who actually floss. Aren't you glad America is there to help keep everyone's teeth, well...in their mouth?

4. YouTube

The original favorite for tracking down all your favorite videos! Where would we be without cat videos, or worse, without Dr. Pimple Popper? It's hard to imagine the world where Charlie hadn't bitten his poor brother's finger or "oh my god, shoes," wasn't one of our lesser-known national anthems. Thanks, America, for providing us with hours of mindless entertainment and educating our youth about explicit cuts of the songs they hear on the radio.

5. Country Music

Not only did America give us cowboys, but it also gave us country music! It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but you have to admit it's contributed to many other American customs. After all, if we didn't have country music there would be no Blake Shelton, and then who would flirt with Adam Levine on NBC's The Voice? What would become of the city of Nashville? Where would Taylor Swift have gotten her start only to become the next biggest pop star for tabloids to talk about? Thanks for the entertainment, America!

6. Honey Boo Boo

Toddlers and Tiaras was already everything you could want out of a guilty-pleasure reality television show, and then came Honey Boo Boo. You may love her or hate her, but either way, there's a really good chance you've been caught talking about her. Honey Boo Boo teaches us the importance of sass, body positivity, and of course, chicken nugget power. America really knows how to make self-assured, independent role models for our youth!

7. Walmart

We couldn't possibly forget Walmart on our list of American greatness! Where capitalism reigns supreme at diversity is at its highest. All forms of life come to join together in the melting pot that is the great American supermarket. They stock everything you could ever need for your Independence Day barbecue, and since most of them are open 24/7, you can go shopping late at night and avoid having to pretend to like the neighbors you might come across during the daylight hours. You don't have to socialize at all if you'd prefer, but you better hope the self-checkout is open.

Thanks, America!