7 Truths Your Short Friend Wants You To Know

Yes, being short is hard sometimes, but it's a part of who I am.

139

Hello, it's me, "Short Stuff." Yes, I do know that I am very short. No, the weather down here really is not all that different from where you are. NO, it's not usually cute when you put your arm on my head and use me as an armrest. Here are some confessions from your resident short friend.

1. A lot of the time, I really don't mind my height

Yeah, you read that right. Being this "pint-sized" person doesn't really bother me. I've accepted I won't ever see the tops of peoples' heads. Maybe I won't get to dunk like Michael Jordan, but that's alright. I am who I am, all five feet and some odd inches of me.

2. My daily routine is probably a lot different than yours

Do you have to hike yourself up onto the counters to reach the highest shelf in the cupboards? Yeah, I know, it looks silly, but you do what you gotta do. Yes, there are step stools all over my room. I don't need your judgment. I know that being so close to the steering wheel is dangerous, but I can't see!

3. Yes, I can fit into kid's clothes

I mean, if little girl's basic black flats fit me and they are at least five to ten dollars cheaper, can you blame me? Don't be mad just because your big ole feet require shoes that cost more. I will proudly rock my little kid shoes and buy myself something nice with all the money I save.

4. I'm sorry for my attitude (sometimes)

I'm not intimidating in size, so sometimes I have to bring out a sass level that is about fifteen times my size. People will try to walk all over me, and I have to stand up for myself. Just because I'm the size of a child doesn't mean I don't deserve the respect an adult gets.

5. I do often wonder what life would be like if I was taller

What is it like to be able to reach everything in your closet? Do people constantly remind you that you're "such a normal height"? What is life like when you don't have to sit so dang close to the steering wheel?

6. When I first meet people, they are often taken aback by my height, even if I told them how tall I was

"I know you said you were five feet tall, but I didn't expect you to be this small." Five feet is pretty universal, so I'm not sure where the confusions come in. Oh well, it's still fun to surprise people, I guess.

7. Even with all the struggles that come with it, being short is a part of who I am

I'm always going to be "the short friend," and that's alright. I'm the fun-sized girl you know that blends in with a crowd of second graders. Some things will change, but you'll always know that I'll be in the front of pictures because I would disappear if I wasn't.