7 Truths You Need To Know Before College

No person in their right mind will think "She wore jeans and a tee shirt on the first day of class? What a freak!" No one cares.

22
mssmedia

College can be, and is, a stressful time for some people. Many high school graduates choose to attend college in state and few move out of state. I remember when I first attended college, I was by myself in a new state surrounded by people I didn't know. I would think, "People will know I'm a freshman and have no idea what I'm doing" and boy I was wrong. No one told me "secrets" about college life and classes so I'm here to give you these "secrets." Here are seven truths you need to know before attending college.

1. You will get tired of the restaurants on campus

At my school, Mississippi State University, we have Pizza Hut, Panda Express, Burger King, and the most popular of all - Chil-fil-a. If you live on campus, you will be seeing a lot of the restaurants in your long stay at school and you will get tired of eating Chick-fil-a every day. It may be convenient and tasty at first, but when your roommate asks you what you want to eat for dinner, your four options get old really quick. My advice would be to try and make things in your dorm or apartment as often as possible or go to the cafeteria more. It'll probably be healthier and when you don't want to make food after a test, you won't have to say, "Burger King again?"

2. No one cares what you are wearing

Obviously, this may have some loopholes, like if you are wearing a coat tail or a dinosaur onesie, but 99% of the time, you will go completely unnoticed on campus. On your first day of class, you don't have to dress up because no one cares if you wear a dress or sweatpants. People are there to learn and you will only see them for a few months and then probably never again. No person in their right mind will think "She wore jeans and a tee shirt on the first day of class? What a freak!" No one cares.

3. There is a right and a wrong way to buy textbooks

There is no need to practically burn your money and outright buy every single textbook from the bookstore before class even starts. It may say that all of your books are required to have but just wait. The professor may say that they are recommended or not necessary. If the books are required, the next step is to avoid the campus bookstore as much as possible. They will most likely overcharge the heck out of your books and try to sell a 100 page novel for $1,000,000. Start with places like Amazon and Chegg, who rent textbooks for cheap. I get most of my books from Amazon for $20-$50 a semester. Do your research and save as much money as possible.

4. It can be hard making friends

If you are going to a college out of state or somewhere where you don't know anyone, it can be hard to make friends and that's okay. You see the people in your non-major classes about once throughout your entire college life. Try and make friends with people in your major because you will likely be seeing them for a while and in many of your other classes. Also, try joining a club or organization. You will be meeting with those people a lot and have to work with them on projects or activities so you will be able to make fast friends with them.

5. It is okay to skip class

Join the dark side and skip class... only if you think you can! It is okay to skip class sometimes if you know the material and won't miss anything critical. There is obviously a balance and you can't just skip a whole semester and expect an A, but if you know the subject and you honestly feel like you can skip, then go for it. The key part is that you have to have good judgment. If you cannot trust yourself, then do not skip class. I had a class I knew was hard and missing a single day would be detrimental, so I never skipped. I also had a class where all the teacher did was drone on about the slides he posted online. I skipped that class ten times and received a B. This being said, please don't skip because you can as some classes do not have attendance policies but try your best not to skip class as some days your professor may give extra credit points to those who did not skip.

6. "They won't let you get away with that in college"

Bull. Sh*t. Throughout everyone's schooling careers, we have always heard, "They won't let you get away with that in [insert higher level education here]." Teachers will say that about anything whether it be you forgetting your calculator or an assignment. Now, I will say that if you are a lazy bum that never turned in anything and asks for an extension on a paper, your professor will say no. Just remember that your teachers are human beings, just like you and me. If you ask for sympathy and you deserve it, they'll probably give it to you. They are going to remind you about tests, assignments, and homework just like they did in grade school so don't worry. However do not expect them to remind you 25/8 as that is not their job but they will have some sway in them.

7. No one knows if you're lost and they don't care if you ask for directions

With buildings, walkways, and construction - getting to know a campus is hard. I remember when I was walking around Mississippi State for the first time, I had no idea where I was going and I was afraid everyone knew it. That they knew I was a freshman and had no clue where anything was, but the thing is, no one can tell. Unless you are pulling out a physical map or walking in circles, no one knows you don't have a clue where you are. Also, no one cares if you ask where the library is. In fact, you may brighten their day because they were able to help someone else out. There is no need for social anxiety or stress because again, no one can tell.