7 Totally Obvious Tips to Help You Get Through College

Sometimes the simplest reminders help us the most.

5

Being a college student is immensely hard, as we all know, especially if we are prone to stress and anxiety. Most everyone goes through times of distress where the best option seems to be quitting. It's easy to get lost in the haze of anxiety and feelings of hopelessness, but getting through with minimal damage is possible. Here are seven tips to remember that should help you succeed in your college career - and life.

1. Don't try to be perfect.

It just won't happen. As human beings, we are naturally imperfect. No living thing is scientifically "perfect" because if this were the case, we would cease to continue learning and growing as a species. You were born with great abilities, but not superhuman ones. A big step for a lot of students is accepting the fact that you can only do so much: and that's great! Do the best that you can, but try not to put too much pressure on yourself. There is already so much pressure being put on us, why add more to our plate?

2. Remember that improvement isn't always a big leap.

People tend to believe that in order to have achieved anything at all, it is necessary to attain the entire goal at one time. This is not at all true. For example, imagine you received a specific grade on an exam in a particularly demanding class. Perhaps you completely failed the first one with an F, so you set the goal to reach a B on the next test. First of all, I want to say that this is probably possible for some people - I, personally, am not one of those people. So, rather than setting expectations too high for yourself, maybe start with attaining a C. If you initially try for that B and study your brains out to get there, but still haven't made it, you will feel even worse than you did the first time. Take baby steps toward your goals, and allow yourself the correct amount of time to get there.

3. Just because you did worse on an exam than people you know doesn't make you 'stupid'.

Maybe the information on that particular exam just didn't resonate well with you. Maybe this time you didn't study as hard as you could have. Or, even more likely, is that the people who got higher grades had more of a background in the topic than you before even walking into the class. The problem is that everyone learns differently, and sometimes you are going to come across those rare few who learn extremely fast and practically only have to look over the chapters a few times. If you're anything like me, or many other people I know, it takes a lot of repetition to get the information to stick. Try a different study technique if your old one wasn't working out. Remember to study in intervals, not all at once, over a longer period of time.

4. Take care of your body!

This point is kind of obvious, but also important! Most students I know, unless they are an athlete, often struggle with eating healthily and working out on a regular basis. Which, honestly, is where I am right about now in my college career. School food is hardly nutritious (if it is, it's probably impossible to choke down), and buying food is too expensive. So, of course, we stick with the tastier options and let it go at that. When it comes to food, though, at least make sure you're getting enough protein in your diet - both athletes and non athletes. It's a lot more stressed among those who play sports, for obvious reasons, however this often makes the rest of us think we need minimal protein. If not much else is nutritious, I suggest stocking up on snacks high in protein (peanut butter is my favorite) that you can have in between meals. As far as physical exercise goes, if you're not an athlete, some exercise can actually decrease your stress levels! Whether that's lifting weights, running around campus, or just using the fanciest machines you can figure out. Every little bit helps... but don't go overboard! Oh, and hey, don't forget to stay hydrated!

5. Now, don't forget about your brain.

Mental health is just as important as physical health, if not more so. Without a properly functioning brain, studying is futile. For starters, don't neglect your naps and sleep! It can be hard to get a full night's rest when studying for four, five, or even six classes all at once - I understand. But when you feel like you're about to pass out on your desk and drool all over your text book, it's time to hit the hay and lie down for a bit. Hour long naps are okay, but I would aim for 20-30 minute naps if you need to get back up and start working again. Make sure you lie down with no distractions, meaning no cell phone, no lights, no books; just you and your blankets. If you have medication, make sure you take it! Please, this will help you so much, no matter what the medication is for. The less you have to worry about your health, the more you will be able to focus on learning.

6. Pamper yourself.

This kind of fits in the last category as well, but I decided to make it it's own. If you're feeling overwhelmed, take a step back. Put down your books, step away from your computer, and focus on something else for a little while. Maybe, for you, this means putting on your favorite relaxation music and lying down in bed for half an hour. Or, maybe it means jumping in the shower with your favorite smelling soaps and shampoos. Make sure that each and every day you do at least one thing that will make you feel a little less stressed or a tiny bit better overall - we all need something to give us a little spark of good in our bellies. If you're an outdoor person, take a walk outside! Maybe this would be a time that you would go for a run; or, maybe you'll sit down and treat yourself to a cookie that's been staring you in the face all day. Play a game on your phone that you enjoy, or read a book just for fun! Treat yourself to whatever you enjoy, and try to make the most of it.

7. Take care of necessary tasks that might be distracting you.

For instance, if you've been meaning to do the laundry but have been too anxious about a test, go start a load. If nothing else, at least then you have the satisfaction of getting it started and can continue working in the meantime. Wash any dishes you've forgotten about, or tidy up your room. These tiny (but also major) tasks can help make you feel less cluttered and you'll be more likely to achieve successful study time.

Of course I'm sure everyone has heard a majority of these tips multiple times in our lives, but it never hurts to be reminded. After all, it takes a lot to get through school, so being kind to ourselves is a very important step in the whole process. Take care of your mind and body alike, and try not to add extra pressure to yourself that will only make you feel more down and out in the end. Take a breath and remember that today is just one day, and tomorrow is a new beginning.

You got this.