7 Tips & Tricks For Move-In Weekend You Didn't Know You Needed

Things that upperclassmen wish they would have done.

92
Flickr

Move in weekend is just around the corner! The anticipation of all of the new students is rising, you're thinking about how you are going to arrange your beds, who you will meet and you are also just excited to start living on your own. Here are some tips and tricks from once new students (upperclassmen) to help make move-in weekend a simple task.

1. Pack the vehicle in reverse order.

Pack all of the little stuff first. This will be the stuff that you need last. Pack the stuff that you will want first, last. It is so much easier to move in when you know you need the rug first and that is the first thing you pull out of the vehicle. Also, pack any and all cleaning supplies last so that can be the very first thing you do before filling your room.

2. Label your stuff.

With so many people moving in on one day, things can go missing. A few things you can do to avoid that are packing in boxes so your smaller items stay with you; and label your things. Write on the label your name, hall, and room number. This will help make sure that you get your stuff where it needs to be, stress free.

3. Clean the room before and after you move in.

When you first get there the room can feel a little stuffy because it has probably been empty all summer. Sweep the floor, wipe some things down and then start moving in. After you are done moving in you may want to sweep the floor, vacuum, or wipe down surfaces to finish. Plus, after all of the people that helped you move in have been in your room it might get a little dirty.

4. Save the decorating for last.

I know that when you first move in you want to make your bed and hang up all your pictures. Save that for last. It is likely that your bed will be used for holding boxes, and if your bed is made, the dirt and gross stuff from those boxes will be on your freshly made bed. Also, use all the help that you have to get the big stuff in, put your clothes away, and rearrange your room. You can decorate your room the way you want to once your parents are gone!

5. Leave your door open.

After your parents leave you can get started on personalizing your room. While you're doing that, leave your door open. I met so many people just from them popping in their heads to say hi, or compliment my bed spread or other things like that.

6. Bring snacks or goodies to hand out.

I brought smarties that I had left over from my graduation party, so my friends and I walked around our floor and handed them out. It is a great way to meet people and that is how I first met my boyfriend. I'm not saying you will meet the love of your life, but you will at least meet the people who you will be living with for the next year.

7. Find out where your classes are.

Look at the schedule that you made at orientation and find the locations of your classes. Then get a few of your floor mates together and walk around campus to find those buildings so you have an idea of where you're going on your first day.