7 Thoughts You Have While Watching 'Star Wars' When Growing Up With A Disability

A little humor and serious thought brought to you by a disabled Star Wars Junkie.

78
wikimedia.org

Anyone who has spent at least five minutes with me will know that I love watching movies in my free time. In fact if someone where to ask me what my favorite movie was I would most likely give you an entire list of films rather then just one. Although if you asked me what my favorite syfy film was I would have to tell you that it is without a doubt Star Wars even through technically Star Wars is a film series and not a single film. I love these films for so many reasons that I simply can not express in a single article. But to put it as simply as possible every member of my family has gone through a Star Wars phase and it is a big deal for my entire family. However, one of the reasons I personally love Stars Wars that I don't talk about very often is the way it unknowingly addresses the truth about living with a disability. I have lived with Cerebral Palsy my entire life and over the passed twenty years I have had some pretty amazing moments while watching adventures from a galaxy far far away. This being said thoughts you have while watching Star Wars when living with a disability.

1. I want a floating wheelchair

No two disabilities are exactly the same meaning that every diagnosis is different. Every person who has a disability is effected differently and each one varies in severity that is only truly determined case by case. In my personal case my Cerebral Palsy only affects my legs and I require a walker to assist me when walking. The severity of my Diagnosis is on the lower side of the spectrum when it comes to living with a disability. However even though I don't use it very often I do have a wheelchair that I use every now and then when traveling long distances. This being said the fact that Master Yoda has a floating wheelchair in the Star Wars prequels is freaking awesome. I mean I already knew Yoda was one of the most important characters in the Star Wars Universe and, he uses the Wheelchair most likely due to his old age, but come on who wouldn't want one?

2. Sand can kiss my a**

Okay so I kind of have mixed feelings about this one because I grew up going on vacation to the beach every summer. However as much as I love the beach I do not enjoy the walk through the sand to get to our spot of paradise day after day even though I am more then willing to do it. Anakin is right it's corse and it gets everywhere so as far as I am concerned he is completely justified. attempting to walk across sand while using a walker is never fun and the sand itself also ruins the walker itself, so sand nine times out of ten can kiss my a** even if it provides a great workout.

3. Anakin Skywalker is the poster child for Prosthetic limbs

The poor guy progressively lost both of his legs and most of both arms throughout the corse of his life. Darth Vader uses a ventilator to help him breath. All I'm saying is if the Galaxy was ever looking for a spokes person for prosthetics they should have given Anakin Skywalker a call,even if he is Darth Vader.

4. I NEVER want to live on Hoth

I know there are a lot of snow lovers out there and that their are plenty of winter sports that have adaptive capabilities for those who are disabled. However winter has never been my thing personally because I hate cold weather. Also walker always freezes and walking through the snow and ice never goes well. If I was ever asked to live on Hoth I would have to decline or if forced I would honestly go kicking and screaming... I would however love to ride a Tonton if given the chance.

5. Blind Jedi are awesome

If you are not a viewer of Disney's Star Wars Rebels then this will be new two you but there happens to be a blind Jedi on the show. Even though the character's loss of sight is a fairly recent development and rather or not you consider Rebels to be part of the star wars cannon it is still cool. In fact it is yet another example of how a person's disability can in reality, be their greatest strength.

6. Thanks for the medical advancements

In truth medical droids may not have been the greatest choice in the world of medical advancement because they have awful bed side manner.However, the world of Star Wars has many other medical advancements that I'm sure would be beneficial.

7. I wish I was Force sensitive

I think it is safe to say that every fan of Star Wars wishes that they could use the force and become a Jedi. I personally would use the force for everything if I could. However I would never have to worry about running into or opening doors again because I would just be able to use the force to open them...this though honestly makes me so happy as a disabled person.