7 Realities About Dining Out Your Server Wants You To Know

With the love of my job and the great customers I meet, there are always those few customers that make you lose your mind.

22
WSJ

Let me start off by saying I love my job, I love the people I work with, and I love the people that come in to grab a bite to eat. I love my job so much that I'm never dreading going to work.

But along with the love of my job and the great customers I meet, there are always those few customers that make you lose your mind.

Serving isn't easy, especially on days that it's crowded. You're running around in circles, trying to keep everyone happy when the kitchen is backed up, and of course dealing with those specific people that always have something to complain about.

To be a server, you definitely have to have a lot of patience.

Here is a list of things that your server wishes you knew.

1. Sometimes the vegetable of the day changes, and it's not my fault.

If the kitchen decides to switch the vegetable from broccoli to string beans, that isn't my fault. I wasn't lying what the veggie of the day was, and no I didn't know you hated string beans, so there's no need to make a scene. And yes... I just found out about it.

2. If you tell me you're ready to put your order in, I expect you to actually be ready.

Do you know how many times customers have told me they are ready to order, only for me to stand there for five minutes as other tables come pouring in? On a regular slow day, this may be extremely annoying, but it's better than you doing it on a Friday night.

3. Always tip, and when you do, tip well.

If I'm running around for your table, working my butt off to make sure everyone in your party is happy, and having everything come out perfectly, I expect a decent tip. Like I said before, serving isn't easy, and if we're giving you great service, especially on those busy days, we appreciate when our hard work gets recognized.

4. Stop yelling at us for how long your food is taking.

If you go out to eat on a Friday, or Saturday, you have to know that it's restaurants' busiest nights. There's going to be a wait, not only for a table but for your food to come out as well. So please don't ask us if we messed up your order, or if we forgot to put it in, or why it's taking so long when you see a line out the door. The kitchen guys work their butts off on busy nights, and having tickets touch the floor with food orders is a little stressful.

5. If you have a food allergy, please tell us before we put the food in.

Nothing like having the stress of someone's life on your hands.

6. The most annoying questions ever... "What beer do you have on tap?"

We not only have a beer list menu for a reason, but we give it to you for a reason as well. There are over 30 different beers, you're lucky if I remember half.

7. Being a nice, respectful customer makes serving the greatest job.

There's nothing like having customers that you can talk to, laugh with, and make you realize why you love your job.

So next time you decide to go out to eat, keep these seven points in mind, because it won't only make your server happy, but you as well.