7 Things You Learn When You Leave That Small Town

There's so much more in the world than what you've seen so far

29

Growing up in a small town can completely shelter the way you see the world. You grow up believing that anything important is happening down the street from you. But then you leave that town, and the idea that the world revolves around you and your town shatters. Suddenly you’ve entered the real world, and here it is ready for you to discover. So here are the things that you learn when you leave that small town that held you down, for the most incredible experience of your life, college. And here are a few things you will learn.

1. High school drama is completely irrelevant.

You grow up in such a small town that the most interesting and exciting news in your life is who is dating, and who is breaking up. The drama that you lived for in high school vanishes and you realize you can hardly keep up with who is dating in your hometown now.

2. There are other people in the world.

Along with that constant and petty drama, you realize that there are other people out there. Back in high school when you walked the halls you could name every single person you passed. But then you find yourself somewhere else surrounded by people you’ve never seen before. You now have the opportunity to meet a new person every day.

3. There are so many things in the world for you to experience.

A small town can be so limiting to your personal growth. But the minute you come to college you are bombarded with opportunities to join organizations, meet new people, travel the world, and grow as a person. Small towns trap you in a little bubble, leaving that small town shows you all the beautiful things that are outside that bubble.

4. Your high school sweetheart is not your only opportunity for love.

If you have a high school sweetheart, attempting long distance can be a major buzz kill. (Because honestly, we all know that long distance can be worth it if you get through it…but really, who gets through that?) That amazing “love” you had in high school changed you for good, and that’s ok. But if that high school flame does fade, there is still a chance for love. There are plenty of fish in the sea, and as cliché as that may sound; it is more true than you want to believe.

5. The world is HUGE.

Not every monumental moment of your life happens within a 5-mile radius. If you make the most of your opportunities you will find yourself making the most beautiful memories all across the world. You could find yourself in Italy within a couple feet of the Pope. You could find yourself walking up way too many steps up the Eiffel Tower. Or you could find yourself in Chicago walking The Magnificent Mile. Take every opportunity that comes your way. Nothing can compare to the beauty of a small town, but traveling the world as a college student is the experience of a lifetime.

6. You turn into the person you are meant to be when you leave.

Growing up in a small town hardly prepares you for the real world; it shelters you and keeps you locked up. But the moment you break free of the small town chains you are free to grow into the person you were meant to be. You are no longer restrained by your ex friends or that teacher that for some reason is out to get you. You see the real world and you find that you are ready to let the world see you.

7. That small town will always have your heart.

Despite everything that that small town held you back from it also shaped you in so many ways. Being in college gave you the opportunity to travel the world, so you took it. Every experience college has brought you, has changed you and that’s ok. But you still had your first kiss right around the corner from your house, and your next-door neighbor is still one of your closest friends. That small town gave you the world’s biggest heart. That small town gave you the courage to leave and experience all that the real world has to offer. But you know that you always have that beautiful small town to run home to. It will never really be the same, but then again once you leave, neither will you.