7 Things You Secretly Love About Your Small Town

You can't hate a town so great.

7
Jeff Lovorn

Since I was a young girl, I was always told I was the "city type." Whatever that means. I was not a girl who acted like she grew up in the sticks and certainly didn't want anyone to know where I came from. It's a tiny town that doesn't even show up on maps, why would I want to be associated with somewhere so insignificant? Well, I've got seven reasons that I hated as a kid but that slowly made me fall deeply in love with the small town that I call home.

1. "Oh my, I haven't seen you since you were a baby."

Alright, THIS was the worst. I can not tell you how many people (aka strangers) I've had come up and give me a hug because they knew me when I was first born. This normally happens whenever I'm out and about with my grandparents because they know literally everyone. After a very embarrassing introduction, I always have to ask "Who in the world was that?" My grandmother's response, "Oh you remember Billy Joe? That's his aunt's sister's daughter's great niece twice removed." Yeah, I totes remember them Grams...not.

2. "How's your/his/her mom and them?"

I always used to wonder, why are they asking about my parents? They don't know me. My dad even does this. Recently I had a friend coming over to go to Bayou Country Super Fest with me and the first thing that he asked was "Oh, how's her mom and them?" *Shakes head* Dad, no.

3. Everything is "right down the road" from you.

Don't lie. You know you've said this more times than you're proud to admit. I promise, a person's house can be three towns away and I will say "Oh yeah, they live right down the road from me." Every time.

4. You graduated high school with your best friend from daycare.

If you're from a town where the elementary, middle, and high school are all on the same campus then you know this very well. I did graduate with my daycare best friend. Unfortunately, we lost our close relationship in seventh grade but we always kept that weird connection between us.

5. Your whole family are alumni of the same alma mater.

Everyone attended our local high school. My parents and aunts/uncles. All of my first cousins and siblings. Even those weird people who you call family but no one really knows how you're related. Yeah, they went there too. Which brings me to point number six...

6. You are related to EVERYONE.

I can't walk out of my house without seeing a cousin or an aunt. It's like the Simpson clan has taken over the Loranger community. This little fact also significantly impacts the dating pool for me. Not that I would date anyone from my hometown but even if I wanted to, I'm probably related to them and no matter how hillbilly you are...that's weird.

7. No matter what, that tiny town will always be home.

Whenever you move off to college and finally set out on your new adventures, your first thoughts will be, "I'm finally free from the hell hole!". But let's get one thing straight. At the end of the day, you will always wonder what is going on in the daily bustle of tiny town life. You will miss driving up to the supermarket to see some friends and going to the mud bogs and watching the horse-drawn parade.

You see, nothing you do will ever erase the mark that your hometown has left on you. I know, I've been there. One time I moved to a much more populated area and started to attend the high school there. This place was huge compared to my home. I mean this high school was literally the size of our main town. Insane. I wanted to embrace the city lifestyle that everyone was telling me I was already living out. Truth? I left after my first semester. I missed all of the friends I grew up with. I hated the idea of not graduating from the high school that my family as been in since it's beginning. I even missed being asked those dumb questions and being recognized by strangers. I never thought that all the things I hated about my home when I was little would make me love/appreciate the place I live today.