7 Things I Never Thought I'd Miss About High School

Maybe high school wasn't so bad...

272
Kristie Kolpaczyk

When I was in high school, I would never want to go and I could not wait to get out of there. I'd sit there in class and say what a waste of time this is, I could literally be making money right now, but no I have to sit and learn about a math equation I'll never remember, a formula that will never add up, a poet whose name I can't even pronounce and a part of history that should be drilled into my memory after learning about it so many different times but just doesn't want to stick. Now, two years out of high school, I sit and think how dumb I was to be in such a rush to grow up. I sit and think of all the things that I miss that I said I NEVER would.

1. The homework

Yeah, I said it. I miss high school homework because it doesn't compare to homework in college. My homework in high school would be every other math problem in every other chapter. Oh, and maybe to read a chapter in a book, which no one ever did, so you would just follow along or rush and read it in homeroom. I came into college thinking how hard could it be when I have class only twice a week. Well, professors give no slack when piling that homework on you and getting essay after essay. So yeah, compared to college homework, I do miss high school homework.

2. Actually having friends in class

This I truly miss because when I walk into class now, I sit in the back and pray I don't embarrass myself in front of 30 random strangers. "Oh, why don't you make friends?" you may ask -- because it's so much effort. I miss going to class and knowing every single person because you've been in their class since the first grade. It was so carefree and simple. Not even that, you'd have someone to text and ask for the homework, but not anymore.

3. Lunch time

My favorite period of the day, where you bought overpriced Snapple and prayed you would get that fresh pizza right out of the oven. The one part of the day where you had a time slot to do whatever you wanted, mostly used to copy homework that you didn't do for the rest of the school period. Or was I the only one who always waited for one of those insanely intense movie food fight scenes. But since that never came true in high school, my dreams are shattered because I'm lucky if I remember to buy a cereal bar when running from class to class in college.

4. Sports

God, I love sports. They're the only reason I stayed in somewhat okay shape in high school. High school sports are the best -- you're playing with people you have grown up with, you are motivated to work out for at least two hours a day for at least five days a week, and you get to play the sport you love on top of that. What more could you ask for? Plus, if you were really good, you played varsity and could get a letter, and you know what that means? Buying a jacket that you'll wear every day for the rest of your high school career, but isn't acceptable to wear after you graduate, which really sucks.

5. PROM

Or any type of event that gave me a reason to get a dress, heels and actually do my hair for once, or the guys a good reason to ask a girl out and show her you know how to clean up nicely. Nowadays you never have reasons to get dressed up like that, but in high school there would be something every other week. Between banquets, homecomings, proms, formals and everything in between.

6. Football games

Where else can you go and paint giant letters on your stomach for whatever reason? Going to football games used to unite everyone no matter what was going on. You felt like you were a part of something when you were cheering in the stands at a football game.

7. Not being a grown up

Being in high school meant you were a child, even though no one ever would admit that we were children. Now that we're out, we have to grow up, pay bills and work more than 15 hours a week. I'm supposed to actually move out of my parents' house in the next few years -- what kind of bull crap is that? I didn't have to worry about that in high school. I'm not mentally prepared for the stuff that no one really thought about after high school.

So those of you still in high school who are reading this, you will hear this a million times before you graduate and you will say the same things I said about how you will never miss it and how you cannot wait to get out of there, but trust me, you will miss it and you will want to go back. Because it is truly one of the most memorable, somewhat stress-free times of your life and it only gets harder from there. So do not complain about the homework, go to every game you can, enjoy your lunch time, get all dolled up for homecoming and do not rush it and enjoy every moment you have because you will never get those times back. And to those who did graduate and miss it, I feel your pain and we are in this together. Stay strong we can do this "adulting" together.